What me...and my KJs have been up to lately.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well as for me I have had some health issues for a while now that I would rather not go into detail, but that does account for my limited time online. Luckily they seem to be getting better and things are looking up! so now to more important things: My KJ's :)

You all Know about my wife's KJ getting Vandalized and fixed (with Duratracs )

For those of you that know me you know that I got my first KJ in 2005 as a daily driver (as I was into building Suzukis/Trackers) I got a 2002 Shale Green Sport in two wheel drive, This was a fleet optioned 5 speed with absolutely NO options save for Cruise Control and some MOPAR Chrome wheels and MOPAR Chrome grille that the dealership installed to make it more desirable.

Here she was when I brought her home (don't worry that Tracker got way bigger):

You must be registered for see images

as the many threads online have shown I went crazy with mopar accessories and kept adding and adding and it most recently looked like this:

But after all of this it was still just a 2WD and after all I already have the other KJs so when my mothers Grand Prix blew up and told me she couldn't get a new car because she didn't have a down payment I gave her the KJ for down payment. Of course first I removed the Renegade lightbar kit (wiring and all) the hellas on the bumper, the clear marker lights, the factory fog light kit, the hitch , the bug shield, the ventvisors, tire cover, floor mats, taillight covers, basically everything that I put on it (except the rear air deflector because the screws stripped out and I broke it trying to get it off)

So my mom took in a really stripped out Liberty with a power-steering leak and 145K not to mention 8 holes in the roof and got 2k toward her trade in on a 2009 Ford Fusion.

So What happens when you strip one KJ? The others cannibalize it

The Renegade Lightbar went on my wifes KJ as did the Trailer hitch and clear marker lights.

So his and hers are starting to look pretty similar:

You must be registered for see images attach

The Ventvisors and bumper hellas (with KC amber covers) went on my KJ:

(notice I relocated the Compass Rallye lights to the back of my hood (what can I say I love lights) The only thing I don't like is that the factory JEEP covers are now crooked so I think I am going to paint the covers black and get some JEEP decals to put on them.)

I also did something else to the wifes KJ today. Back when i bought her grille gaurd I was promised one that looked identical to the Westin bar (which is what her and I really liked) but what I got was this:

and they looked horrible because the middle bar was way to freaking high.

So I modified the brackets to lower it and got this:

but I had to lose the headlight guards and that saddened me :( this was almost a year ago and today an idea came to me so I broke out the sawzall and drill and came up with this which I thinks looks good :

I still need to do some fine tuning but overall I think it looks better...until she gets an ARB

You all will notice that I didn't mention the 2002 Renegade, which had become a parts truck but also a future project. Well so many parts have come off of it now and the rust is to bad that I am in the process of pulling every possible part that I can ever use on any of my KJs and cutting up the rest of the carcass and scrapping it.

So essentially I am down to 2 KJs :shock: The wife has informed me that whe would like to get a 97-01 XJ to build for her :pepper: not to mention I am looking to restore an ond AMC Eagle ..... And I havent even talked about the CJ-5

Last edited:

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you're a sick man....I like it! Did you like those hood covers? I was wondering if I should get one

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice jeeps gtommec.

Dave

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you're a sick man....I like it! Did you like those hood covers? I was wondering if I should get one

I love those hood covers, but I am like you said a sick man I also have 2 of the full bras for the Jeeps and use the hood portion of those sometimes as well as having the plastic Jeep bug deflector so sometimes I have them on. I change them up quite regularly (drives my wife crazy) but the ones I like the most is the T-bra (the one in these pictures)

The trick to them is to take them off when you was the jeep (I do that weekly) and when you wax the jeep (I do that monthly) and keep them adjusted tight and no harm will come to the paint underneath.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love it - a man who likes to keep busy working on Jeeps and a wife who understands!! :smokin:

Question for anyone: Any legal issues with the clear turn signal lenses in front? Wondering if they are required to be amber or if clear is OK.

I exchanged PM's with BjBnet about where to find them but didn't ask about their legality as he's in Canada. Anyone else want to weigh in? Gtommerc, Virginia can be kinda '******' about some stuff on cars (radar detectors illegal. Huh? :favorites68:) Any issue with clear lenses there?

Bob

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I know here in B.C., Canada as long as the bulb is amber and flashes with amber light then all is good.
Mind you, the amount of China-man here with their blue, green, pink (anything but amber lighting in front) seem to get away with it on a regular basis here and the RCMP couldnt be bothered to do anything about it!

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Federally here in the US the front sidemarker retroreflectors must be amber (so since in our KJs the reflector is part of the entire assembly yes they are illegal in all 50 states, that being said most states wont bother you as long as you put amber bulbs in them.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Federally here in the US the front sidemarker retroreflectors must be amber (so since in our KJs the reflector is part of the entire assembly yes they are illegal in all 50 states, that being said most states wont bother you as long as you put amber bulbs in them.

Didn't know about that law actually. But yeah I have amber bulbs in mine and both passed inspection and had absolutely NO trouble at all with the police. So X2

Oh and I have the smoked ones. So they're probably even more questionable.

Check the pics -

Attachments

• 0214122207.jpg
    0214122207.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Truck!.jpg
    Truck!.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 22

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where did you get your smoked signal lens from??? I like them plenty!

They sell spray so you can do it your self. Or.... if you just want to see if you like them go to the dollar store and buy a pair of black stockings, take off the lens cut a piece that fits around it stretched slightly and out back on. Did that on my vw and it looked pretty damn good. And when i got stopped for smoked tails i told the cop what is was, he chuckled and sent me on my way lol :)

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha that's pretty clever! That way you can just take them off and not worry about having to get rid of the paint.

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which bulb would you recommend for headlights n fog lights? im looking for that blue color. also how do you replace the bulbs easily?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Phillips bulbs do great

blue color does not give you any extra lighting in fact its less and looks even worse

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score