What load range are you using?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at picking up at set of Duratracs, hopefully before we start getting snow. 245-75r16 comes in load range C and E.

Just wondering what others with Duratracs are running and what the pros and cons are. I'm assuming worse gas mileage with a E range tire...but if it has significantly more sidewall protection, I think that would be a fair trade off. Especially since our New England trails are known for having a pretty jagged rocky terrain. Price difference on tirerack is $23 more to go from C to E.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was still IFS it was only load range E or D for me.Now that I can run real tires load range C it is but my load range C tires are about equal to the strength of the smaller load range D and E's.

The mpg hit is worth it for 3 play sidewalls if you plan on wheeling it and actually airdown so the tires work better(15psi or lower).

Red07KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run load range C BFG's. A good trade off in my sense for ride vs strength since most of my time is on pavement. Load range E might run a little stiff on pavement/highway for some but it really depends on your usage.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran LR E in the old style MTR's on the KJ
Switched to LR C in an AT and the only difference
was in noise not in ride quality
With an LR E you can comfortably air down to 12 psi
this is assuming 245/75 on OE sized wheel

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still undecided, but think I'm leaning towards E. I use it for my daily driver with off-road on the weekends or whenever I see an opportunity to explore.

E seems like it provides more psi flexibility. I don't really care about road noise, doesn't bother me, but I do care about sidewall durability...a lot. I guess I look at it as spending an extra $23 per tire up front to avoid spending $200 later.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the pavement is still dry try the chalk test and ride down the block 100ft. Otherwise, if you weigh close to stock, stick with stock pressure.

No real ride improvements to be gained in the mid 30s +- 3 psi. Been running 32 last i checked since the arrival of snow 2 weeks ago. No real difference in feel.

experimented with higher when i first got them and were slightly more aggressive then my gy HP's. Didn't make a positive difference and had more contact with the crown wearing a fraction of a 32 off the center vs side in 5K, dropped to 34 for rest of summer.

Weight is typically stock + skids, hitch and 100 lbs of whatever.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
My weight is constantly changing +/- 800lbs (rural delivery) and I spend most of my time on rutted washboard dirt roads that see more tractors than road vehicles. It is always a trial and error thing.. the most important factor for me is traction ... fuel economy and even tire wear to some extent are less important. But for longer on-road trips it would be nice to get a comfortable balance.

Thanks for the input!