What lift should I get for my KJ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
I wanna get a lift that won't wear out my stock equipment, I'm looking at spacer lifts and full suspension what is that best for the money, I'm on a budget of about $400 and I'm looking for about 2-4 inches of lift. So if you know what I'm looking for let me know!

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanna get a lift that won't wear out my stock equipment, I'm looking at spacer lifts and full suspension what is that best for the money, I'm on a budget of about $400 and I'm looking for about 2-4 inches of lift. So if you know what I'm looking for let me know!

Blue_kj Refer tho the Lift kit sticky. ( Liberty Lift FAQ) This will give you all the info you need reguarding just about every lift there is for the KJ (At least the good ones) Hope this helps Look in to the Daystar 2.5 Lift. Hope this helps.

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
daystar is te only spacer lift that is any good and it is $155 plus new rear shocks $60 each (Rancho RSX17004) and you have to take apart the fron to add the spacer and since you have it all apart its a good time to replace the front struts $100 each (Rancho RSX17505), for a total of about $475 plus shipping and new bumpstops all around wich is another $40, so a grand total of $515 for a spacer lift

OME HD coils with the same shocks and struts (Rancho) all around you will gain about 3" and have a much better ride and you will be happier with it over a spacer and it will only cost about $100 more

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would save about $10 a day for a month and buy a OME/rancho lift
you can get it for about $600
save a few more $ and put it with your $400 you will be much happier

not to bash a lift but dont waste you money on a crustys coil lift
while up front it may be about $100 at most less
after you buy new rear shocks and add spacers of some sort to the front when it sags
you will spend the $100 saved and burn a few hours of time

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put the Daystar on myself last weekend.

Before:
You must be registered for see images attach

After:

I did it myself and it was pretty easy. And against the recommendation of others, I did not replace the shocks yet. I know I will need to sooner or later, but I will just save for that. I don't offroad though, so they should last a while for me . What is the worst that can happen? They blow, and I have to replace them. Rears should take all of 15 minutes to replace. Fronts aren't that bad to take apart yourself later either if you rent a good spring compressor from the local parts store. I know it would handle/ride much better with the Ranchos, and I will get them someday.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC

Before:

After:

I did it myself and it was pretty easy. And against the recommendation of others, I did not replace the shocks yet. I know I will need to sooner or later, but I will just save for that. I don't offroad though, so they should last a while for me . What is the worst that can happen? They blow, and I have to replace them. Rears should take all of 15 minutes to replace. Fronts aren't that bad to take apart yourself later either if you rent a good spring compressor from the local parts store. I know it would handle/ride much better with the Ranchos, and I will get them someday.

Just had to say... Nice ride!
Now I know exactly what ours will look like (Only in my case with Factory alloy wheels which will be powder coated either black of dark charcoal metallic)

coloradored

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Before:

After:

nice before and after photo! i like seeing it with the same sized tires on before the lift as after the lift, it gives good scale! what size tires would those be?

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are Treadwright A/T-G 235/75R15. My set was made from BFG All Terrain TA KO donor cores.

http://treadwright.com/Tires-235_75R15__A_T_G-P4.aspx

They are actually about 1/4" smaller in diameter than the stock 225/75R16 tires that came on it. But the new ones are wider - especially tread width, not just the section width.

Last edited:

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the bumper trimming at the same time as the lift. It was not required. I just got a wild hair and had some fun with the Dremel. It was on my to-do list anyway. I like the looks much better trimmed.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
So, I have decided on the OME/Rancho Lift and I'm gonna go with Frankenlift as the supplier! Thanks for all of your help!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Ok... I thought I'd ask a question!
According to the sticky that Tony posted "OME spring specs" All the OME springs give you 1.5 inches of lift.
When I research all the "Lift" threads I understand that using HD OME/Rancho I'll gain around 2.5 3 inches of lift.
This is achieved with additional rear spring isolators and conduit nuts up front? Or is that strictly by using OME coil springs?

The suspension dampers are shot all round, so I may as well do the whole sha-bang seeing I have to dis-assemble the front anyway.

Cheers

Ryan

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok... I thought I'd ask a question!
According to the sticky that Tony posted "OME spring specs" All the OME springs give you 1.5 inches of lift.
When I research all the "Lift" threads I understand that using HD OME/Rancho I'll gain around 2.5 3 inches of lift.
This is achieved with additional rear spring isolators and conduit nuts up front? Or is that strictly by using OME coil springs?

The suspension dampers are shot all round, so I may as well do the whole sha-bang seeing I have to dis-assemble the front anyway.

Cheers

Ryan

this is strictly my .02
I would not do the HD coils on a KJ that does not need them
I find the ride on our '03 with OME Med coils to be a little stiff
not bad stiff but if it were more stiff I would not like it at all and if it were
softer I would not like it
when we did the coils and shocks/struts we gained 2"+ and after 25" we are still at 2"
There is no point in pushing for that 1/2" or so
you can not really run a bigger tire with out creating more issues then you will want to deal with and we run a 245/75 easy
no matter what you do to run bigger than stock tires you will need rear bump stops so do them at the same time as the lift ,you will have the coils out my fronts are fine ,no rub at full stuff

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
the OME site is sort of misleading to say the least, it was set up when the KJs were higher so that is a conservative estimate on the lift , it also satisfies insurance companies as well I assume. With say OME Heavy Dutys, Rancho struts and 3 rings you will get at the very least 2.75 to three inches ( or more;))

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on my KJ, when I installed my OME HD coils ONLY I gained about 2.25" and then with the clevis I was up to 3" fairly easy

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
this is strictly my .02
I would not do the HD coils on a KJ that does not need them
I find the ride on our '03 with OME Med coils to be a little stiff
not bad stiff but if it were more stiff I would not like it at all and if it were
softer I would not like it
when we did the coils and shocks/struts we gained 2"+ and after 25" we are still at 2"
There is no point in pushing for that 1/2" or so
you can not really run a bigger tire with out creating more issues then you will want to deal with and we run a 245/75 easy
no matter what you do to run bigger than stock tires you will need rear bump stops so do them at the same time as the lift ,you will have the coils out my fronts are fine ,no rub at full stuff

The only reason I mention the HD coils is for use with the ambiguous ARB front bumper so I have a place to stuff my winch. (or perhaps that Detour winch mount.
As far as tire size, I think 245-70(or 75 series)-16 is large enough for what we do.

Thanks

the OME site is sort of misleading to say the least, it was set up when the KJs were higher so that is a conservative estimate on the lift , it also satisfies insurance companies as well I assume. With say OME Heavy Dutys, Rancho struts and 3 rings you will get at the very least 2.75 to three inches ( or more;))

Thanks, that sounds logical

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So, I have decided on the OME/Rancho Lift and I'm gonna go with Frankenlift as the supplier! Thanks for all of your help!

Frankenlift as the supplier ? :confused:Frankenlift is a type of lift that AllJs sells as a kit is that what you are talking about or just buying the OME springs and Ranchos from them. Don't want others to be confused when they are looking at what you are buying;)

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
Frankenlift as the supplier ? :confused:Frankenlift is a type of lift that AllJs sells as a kit is that what you are talking about or just buying the OME springs and Ranchos from them. Don't want others to be confused when they are looking at what you are buying;)

I'm buying the Frankenlift it's self, but I said OME/Rancho because that's what comes in the kit sorry for the confusion.;)