What do i do with this? (electrical problem)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday found this

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

How do i put it back? Some say i have to change the whole window, some say theres electroconductive glue for this.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to replace the window, there are kits available (hopefully in your area) to repair the tab. Looks like this are very similar to a conductive epoxy compund that we use where I work to attach small electronic components to printed wire boards for our assemblies.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to replace the window, there are kits available (hopefully in your area) to repair the tab. Looks like this are very similar to a conductive epoxy compund that we use where I work to attach small electronic components to printed wire boards for our assemblies.

Good luck with that kit. I had the exact same problem, used the kit exactly as directed, it's back on now, but I have no rear defogger so it's not getting current through the conductive adhesive mix. Who knows.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck with that kit. I had the exact same problem, used the kit exactly as directed, it's back on now, but I have no rear defogger so it's not getting current through the conductive adhesive mix. Who knows.

That *****...
I'm going to try it anyway.
I rarely have my back windows fogged up, but still having a defogger is nice.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was my experience with the adhesive also... The last one i had to deal with i soldered back on, carefully, and its still working years later.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was my experience with the adhesive also... The last one i had to deal with i soldered back on, carefully, and its still working years later.

How did you manage not to crack the glass doing that?
Photos of the results maybe...?

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you manage not to crack the glass doing that?
Photos of the results maybe...?

That was on a friends minivan, the last one i did anyway, so i don't have any pics or such. I took some sandpaper, dont remember what i used maybe 220 grit or so, and cleaned up the spot it came off so it was smooth and level, then i did the same to the back of the piece that came off.

The heat of the soldering iron while more concentrated isn't enough to crack the glass. The worst that will happen is you apply too much heat and burn/melt or otherwise damage the contact area. I took a temp controlled 60W station that has a quick recovery time and large thermal element, its not like your little corded radioshack soldering iron this thing can deliver 60w continuous and has very little dropoff due to thermal draw, and tinned the connector piece, added a little rosin flux from a squeeze bottle and then applied rosin core solder and got a good coating of solder on it.

Then i did the same to the window, if your really worried about cracking do it on a HOT sunny day and let the glass get nice and hot in the sun, that glass is going to be WAY hotter than that little soldering iron can provide. Not to mention once the glass is already hot it takes less heating from the soldering iron to get the area hot enough to melt the solder. If you tried to do it on a cold window chances are it would sink away the heat from the iron so fast that it just wouldn't get hot enough to do anything. The last time i fixed one in the winter we backed it into a heated garage and aimed a radiant heater towards the rear window for about an hour, the glass got nice and hot like it was sitting out in the summer sun.

The biggest mistake people make here is trying to solder with the glass ice cold, thermal shock takes care of the rest. I have soldered three of these back on in the summertime with my butane powered micro-torch, i clean up both, apply flux to both, hold the contact with a pliers, heat with torch until i can flow solder on it then with the torch still heating it i just press it up against the spot it should be and let it flow right on. They never failed again.

I tried a couple using the adhesive repair kit advance sells, i don't know if maybe the epoxy didn't cure right or what, but that doesn't seem to last. I think properly preparing and cleaning the surfaces is much more of a problem with the adhesive also.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmm... I think a trip to the dealer is in order for me. Not sure if I want to jump through all those hoops and end up damaging something.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took mine to the dealer (to see what they would say only) they replaced the glass said it can not be fixed, no charge, that dealer was closed in the change over. Boy do I miss them they had good service. I do all my own work as I am a tech so its vary hard for me take any thing to a dealer. But I think I would try it like kbonly did
Good luck and let us know.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there's something to think about.

Also noticed my friends stang to be missing the tip on one side and the glass does not open - that's gonna be a PITA to fix...

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took mine to the dealer (to see what they would say only) they replaced the glass said it can not be fixed, no charge, that dealer was closed in the change over. Boy do I miss them they had good service. I do all my own work as I am a tech so its vary hard for me take any thing to a dealer. But I think I would try it like kbonly did
Good luck and let us know.

Son of a b***! Replace the glass?!! Yeah, that's great when you're under warranty...

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I know. You can try calling a junk yard in a rule area I have had some luck with that in the past.
Just an idea