Weird noise when car starts in cold weather.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeeps_DONT_Flip

Reaction score
When I starts my 02 libby sport in cold weather it makes a loud sound of an rc car. A very big rc car. It sounds worse when I press the breaks to put my kj in drive. And it goes away after the car warms up. Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be? Should I take it to a mechanic. My oil is brand new. Just changed last week. It made the noise before the oil was changed to.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you be more specific on 'sounds like an rc car'? Is it a high pitched whine? Or a loud buzzing noise? Does it stop after the car warms up? Check for codes:

Turn ignition to on (not start)
Turn off
Turn on
Turn off
Turn on and leave.

Dash will display 'DONE' if there are no codes. Or will throw P0XXX if there is a code being thrown.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power steering pump... Mine does it too... When you put the trans into drive it puts a load on the motor and it pulls down a bit, that would account for a difference in sound, also if you move the steering wheel a bit side to side you will notice the pitch of the noise or the loudness of it changes.

Don't worry about it.... If you haven't done it in a while suction out the power steering reservoir with a turkey baster, while the engine is off, and then fill with fresh fluid, start it and take it for a short drive making plenty a lot of turns, i drove around town for like ten minutes turning here and there, then come back and shut it off and suction it out and refill again. The goal is to just work out a lot of the old fluid. This is the easier way but doesnt get it all out. You can disconnect the line from the pump and flush it out as well but its more work, it could be worth it though.

Mine was really loud until i swapped out as much fluid as i could doing that. Come summer time i might do the full flush by removing the line. My wife's PT does the same thing in the cold, i did the same thing to it and it helped, but it didn't totally quiet it down. Again on the warmer days or after it warms up no noise at all. My mother in laws Dodge Caravan sounds like this also, and my neighbors Dodge Ram. I'm nearly convinced its normal for Dodge/Chrysler power steering pumps in cold weather like we get here.

Jeeps_DONT_Flip

Reaction score
Thanx for all of you guys help. So its prob the power steering pump. Well it's always good to know that i'm not the only one experiencing a problem. I'm going to change as much of the fluid as I can tomorrow. Will I eventually need to get a new pump? How much does that cost typically.

Here is a link. Can anyone tell me if this is the actual part that I would be looking to buy and replace?
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Power-Steering-Pump-Cardone_20710171-P_251_R|GRP60016_365565817___#

Also, about how much would a mechanic probably charge me to replace it?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I know of several that have made that noise every winter since new and still going after 4 or 5 years. Wouldn't worry about it till its a real problem, take as much fluid as you can out and replace with new. I do this every 8 to 10,000 just to keep new clean fluid in there! Mines did it since 04 and 134,000 later still doing it ( but only when its real cold)

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about replacing it, chances are the new one would start getting noisy in the cold after a while anyway!

Jeeps_DONT_Flip

Reaction score
And I noticed in the tags you tagged 'car'. WTF!! You aren't driving a car, you're driving a JEEP!

Most people know that in a Jeep you can do whatever you want:D, but some other knuckleheads might see a car and Jeep as the same.

Anyways, since so many others have this problem and it hasn't caused any real problems, I won't replace the pump. I'll just drain and replace my fluid today.

drawnon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 03 sport has a noise on start up in cold weather too. its only when you first turn the key. it only lasts for less than 1 second. its kinda in sync with the starter and engin turning over. when i turn the key its like a quick yelp. kinda like the sound the floating speeders make in the movie star wars return of the jedi, but a little quicker in length of sound, and a little higher pitch in sound. imagine ripping the cord of your evil knievel stunt cycle really fast and hard.
anyway... thats enough childhood nostalgia. im going to go play my simon, and watch get smart.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i always figured it was the serp belt being cold. wifes 02 does this for about 2-5 sec for 3 years or so when its very cold. will flush ps fluid as ive never done this anyway and see if that helps.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your lucky then...

My neighbors 05' does it too, notice it the other morning when i was out cleaning out the driveway and he started up.

Well when I bought my KJ, they flushed the PS system. Fresh ATF+4 in there. Perhaps that has something to do with it?:confused:

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
To whom it may concern; if you disconnect the return line on ps pump,put it in a container,cycle the steering lock to lock,while adding fluid to reservoir,this will flush/bleed the system,plan on using 2-3 qts of atf4 or your choice of fluid.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine makes a really weird buzzing/whining noise in the winter when it gets down around 15 degrees F or lower...always has...I used to think it was the belt, but I replaced that, and now I realize it comes from behind the dash, not the front of the engine. It's never caused any problems, just sounded pretty horrible for about 2 or 3 seconds upon first starting up. Then if it's REALLY cold the dashboard howls as I'm driving, but that goes away when it warms up too...but if you're worried about it, you can always have it checked =]

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To whom it may concern; if you disconnect the return line on ps pump,put it in a container,cycle the steering lock to lock,while adding fluid to reservoir,this will flush/bleed the system,plan on using 2-3 qts of atf4 or your choice of fluid.

I haven't looked at this yet, the return line is the one going to the reservoir on the pump right? I was looking at pictures of the pump on Rock Auto and it looks like the return line is just on a barbed fitting with a hose clamp.

I plan on doing that in the summer time when its nicer outside, no garage and no spare time lately to go somewhere to do it.

My fluid looks nice and clean though after removing as much as i could from the reservoir a few times and putting in fresh ATF4.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't looked at this yet, the return line is the one going to the reservoir on the pump right? I was looking at pictures of the pump on Rock Auto and it looks like the return line is just on a barbed fitting with a hose clamp.

I plan on doing that in the summer time when its nicer outside, no garage and no spare time lately to go somewhere to do it.

My fluid looks nice and clean though after removing as much as i could from the reservoir a few times and putting in fresh ATF4.

Return line is on a barbed fitting,one those spring loaded hose clamps holding it,kind of a pain to R&R.