Weird groaning noise going from drive to reverse. Park to Drive. Park to reverse.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rock_minute

Reaction score
Alright. Automatic transmission.

So last week I was driving through some construction and hit a MASSIVE divot in the road. It literally sounded like my right tire popped, it was so loud.

Ever since, turning right has felt tight / harder. And I have a squeaky noise every time I hit a bump. But the more frustrating problem is whenever I go from Park to Drive. Park to Reverse. Drive to Reverse. Reverse to Drive. Etc etc. I hear a groaning noise. I can sit in my driveway and literally just shift into Drive, then into Reverse, and each time this groaning noise, as if the transmission (or whatever) is trying to "catch up" to the command I just gave it. Then it stops, and I don't hear the noise again until I shift into reverse / drive from park (or from reverse) again. The noises lasts for about 2 - 3 seconds.

Any idea?

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
How much play in the ball joints? How much play in the forward prop shaft? How are the ABS wires in the wheel well, under the cover looking? How bent are the various linkages to the wheel that took the hit?

rock_minute

Reaction score
I'm going to check all this after I get off of work tonight. However, would it cause that weird groaning noise? Again, this happens when I'm not moving. Could this divot had hurt my transmission?

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I'm going to check all this after I get off of work tonight. However, would it cause that weird groaning noise? Again, this happens when I'm not moving. Could this divot had hurt my transmission?
I suspect the impact aggravated a pre existing condition. JKs are notorious for prop shaft CV issues, and I learned the hard way that stuff you’d never think of can aggravate and amplify noises that would be unrelated in other vehicles.

you should also take a look at a sample of ****** fluid and differential oil.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I suspect the impact aggravated a pre existing condition. JKs are notorious for prop shaft CV issues, and I learned the hard way that stuff you’d never think of can aggravate and amplify noises that would be unrelated in other vehicles.

you should also take a look at a sample of ****** fluid and differential oil.
Dear Cthulhu, I’m all for family oriented censorship on forums, but “t.r.Ann.y” is not a dirty word anywhere at any time these days. The Fossil Forum uses the same platform as JeepKJ and they were able to adjust the censor so b.on.e and h.a.r.d weren’t censored on a forum dedicated to bones…

it is time to roll things back and fix the issues after the last update.

this **** is ******* ridiculous.

( those last words should be censored)

Latest posts

Members online