Weird deformation on rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows what's the cause of this:
You must be registered for see images

Seems like the rims got bubbled up and whitened, there is no way to scratch them off, it is rim's metallic part that is being oxidized.. could it be the "armor all" they put at the car wash?

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
warranty

There is a common issue on the chrome edge rims even on the Chrysler 300's. I have the same on mine and u can complain to the dealership & DC, they should replace them for you under warranty.

The spokes don't have an issue since they are plastic clad.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: warranty

liberator said:
There is a common issue on the chrome edge rims even on the Chrysler 300's. I have the same on mine and u can complain to the dealership & DC, they should replace them for you under warranty.

its been more then just a problem with the 300's. Grand Cherokee wheels have been doing this for years around here. I usually wash my wheels nice and good and put a coat of wax on everything. My wheels on the renegade still look brand new.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really doubt that the dealer will replace them, but will give it a shot. Since I am at the end of 3/36, they tend to ignore this kind of issues..

2003KJ

Reaction score

especko said:
liberator said:

its been more then just a problem with the 300's. Grand Cherokee wheels have been doing this for years around here. I usually wash my wheels nice and good and put a coat of wax on everything. My wheels on the renegade still look brand new.

Interested in what kinda wax you put on your wheels. Mine still look good, but in the 3 years i've had the KJ, they've never had any wax or anything put on them....I wasn't aware you could put wax on them. And my KJ gets washed alot...atleast once a week.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only the clad/plastic ones.. i don't think you should be waxing the chrome or the steel rims

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score

2003KJ said:
Interested in what kinda wax you put on your wheels. Mine still look good, but in the 3 years i've had the KJ, they've never had any wax or anything put on them....I wasn't aware you could put wax on them. And my KJ gets washed alot...atleast once a week.

Since i have a renny i have the color-matched painted wheels. I have been using nxt on them. I have also used meguiars #21 silicone sealant on them before. Any dirt and dust that is on them washed right off with really no wheel cleaner at all. As long as they are washed regularly they really dont need to have any wax, I just like mine shinny like the rest of my jeep. And the corossion problem shown above happens alot here in wisconsin, thats why I choose to wax my wheels.

rainjer

Reaction score
What you are seeing is corrosion on the aluminum wheel. I would say it micht have to do with where you live. Do they salt the roads in NY in the winter? Salt is highly corrosive to aluminum. You would want to rinse them after you drove on salted roads.

I was told by the dealer the plastic covers come off. Is that correct? If so, you could pop them off & use come scotch bright on them to remove the corrosion. Do not use steel wool. it will leave very small partical that will rust & discolor your wheel. Then take them to a paint shop & have them clear coated or get the clear anodized.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if they come off.. They might but they look glued on, I wonder how they look under that..