Weird battery/tail gate lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pnw

Reaction score
Woke up this morning, unlocked the jeep and tried starting. The dash lights did nothing and battery seemed dead. Weird thing is my tailgate lock kept actuating like someone was playing with the unlock fob.

Checked all fuses, disconnected the battery and it magically started.

The weird thing is my hella lights will not turn on, but my cb radio works though.

Any thoughts? I want to get this fixed today to make sure this won't happen at work.

Thanks!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Jeep electronics does strange stuff when battery low.
Start by charging the battery fully up. Have it load tested then.
The rear hatch lock may need replacement & or a known issue with them going nuts sometimes.
A BCM flash update was performed to mine by dealer. Now when you reverse you always hear the rear hatch lock automatically.
Re your hella lights, IDK how they are wired, but that may be a coincidental occurrence & require investigation on it's own.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace your battery
I had the same thing happen a while ago, rear latch would constantly sound like it was locking over and over again
I had power when I unlocked the KJ with the fob but as soon as I turned the key it went dead
Replaced the battery with a Dualast Gold with a 5 year warranty for around $100 at AutoZone
No problems anymore!
Also, make sure your terminals are clean and tight
I have 2 light bars, fogs, and subwoofer going off my battery so your add-ons aren't the issue
Your battery probably just can't supply enough power for the Hella's so I would just replace it and be done

Latest posts

Members online