We don't need no stinking badges...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having the issues of the J in Jeep fading on the hood of my Lib. I bought a replacement badge and was wondering if anyone had any tips for removing them without harming the paint and replacing them with new ones?

I planned on just using a razor blade very carefully, but any help would be great.

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-=JoN=- said:
dental floss would help also in addition to the heat gun

Lots of guys over on various Dodge truck sites use good ol' fishing line.....can't verify what # strength though ! \:D/

Greg

thx1138

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed rock guards on my taillights for my '02 ram awhile back..after a few months i bought ram style taillight covers for it. To remove the guards, I used a hair dryer and kept working the guards until they came off. Using a heat gun is ok..if you know what you're doing...those buggers can get mighty hot. I never heard of the fishing line thing..but that is one I'll file away. 8-[

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to let you know, the fishing line worked great! No heat gun at all. I guess after so long, the emblems turn rubbery and so much that I actually cut the "J" in have just by pulling on the fishing line. It took about 30 seconds and I was done.

THANKS!

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to be able to tell you, but I found it in the garage all wadded up. The only thing I know is that it was Stren.

Sorry!

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chrysler products have been NOTORIOUS for the emblems peeling, chipping, and fading over the years. It seems that the '05 models now have a different type of emblem that is higher quality. Hopefully, these will not suffer from the same problems.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem with the J in the swinggate. How much did you pay for the Jeep emblem and did you have to remove the whole thing or apply only the peeling J ?

Thanks.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AtlanticLiberty said:
I'm having the issues of the J in Jeep fading on the hood of my Lib. I bought a replacement badge and was wondering if anyone had any tips for removing them without harming the paint and replacing them with new ones?

I planned on just using a razor blade very carefully, but any help would be great.
You must be registered for see images

You mean like this one on my 03 with 40,000? They are an awful tight fit to the hood, be careful what ever you choose.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
eek2.gif Exactly same spot, same amount of peelage, same discoloratation at the same (censored) manner.

I just cannot believe they made those decals so cheap. I assume news ones won't suffer from that buy they are sticking out way too much, and have space where it sticks and will accumulate mud, and will cause stains.

Straight6Jeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With 4 miles on the clock, I debaged the entire Jeep. To me, there is nothign worse on an all black vehicle than chrome letters, especially peeling letters. It's bes to do it early so that fading is not an issue.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff,

Could we take a look at your unbranded jeep?

I agree with your point on black vehicles, but it differs from black to black, for example my rims are the shiny ones, so it goes with silver stickers, and I would rather get white turn signal lamps than black ones, anything in contrast makes the jeep look darker. I noticed that.

I had the tire cover totally black, but I noticed that when I removed it my Liberty looked actually much better, and I left it off.

Thanks.

sirswank

Reaction score
i debadged my white 02 due to peeling chrome and it looks so much cleaner now. plus it's easier TO clean. i used a plastic bondo squeegee and some goof-off followed by a good wash and wax

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
My badges are still shiny. \:D/

I never plan to de-badge though, no matter how terrible they look. Although on some vehicles, the de-badged look does look very good...

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just say NO!=; to de-badging.

Help us preserve our natural jeep habitat.

Just ask yourself...
How would you feel if someone started to peel off portions of your skin?
Jeeps can feel pain too. :-({|=

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure about the pain but wouldn't be problem if you ever had to sell the jeep.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
I am not sure about the pain but wouldn't be problem if you ever had to sell the jeep.

It'll be hard enough just convincing somebody that I drive a liberty. The back just says "Renegade" and the liberty wording on the side mouldings is hard to read due to the low contrast (it's not colored at all). I don't think a lack of badge would make it tough to sell, it'll be pretty obvious that it's a jeep, and the rest of the info you can get from a window sticker or a build sheet anyway.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't they think you banged it and body work was done, etc?
As soon as I see a vehicle without a badge where it is supposed to be, I am thinking they got part and replaced the banged door, or trim or hood at some shop, and could not find a badge to stick on it, or just left it like that..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.