Water pump

Discussion in 'Technical Service Bulletins and Recalls' started by Froggercn, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Froggercn

Froggercn New Member

HELP ! Today, power steering , heater went out and battery light came on and started smoking from under the hood . Firestone says water pump went out $446.00 . They said they have to replace belt also ( too wet) to put back on and $100. Of that is to flush and refill reservoir .
    Please can anybody tell me if this sounds right ?
    Thx��
    2002 Jeep liberty Limited

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  2. 1BADKJ

1BADKJ Full Access Member

Pump, labor, coolant, and coolant flush. Sounds right. You dont need a coolant flush though. They are draining 80% of your coolant when they change the pump.

3. yellocoyote

yellocoyote Administrator

Not hard to fix yourself if you have even a small degree of mechanical prowess...

4. tjkj2002

tjkj2002 Full Access Member

Not a bad idea since it's a '02 and most likely never has been done before and hence way over due.

Anyways changing the waterpump will only leak out maybe 30%-40% of the coolant anyways and the flush uses a chemical to clean other parts of the system so never a bad idea.

5. Mjewell

Mjewell New Member

Just did my water pump on my 2003, very simple, mine didn't have the clutch fan which made it easier. Actually took me longer to remove the stubborn hose clamps than replace the pump

6. Jbergun

Jbergun Full Access Member

I did my coolant system last summer with the hd cooling wasnt easy but it wasnt hard. I did the water pump radiator hoses belt for alot less than most pay.

7. JasonJ

JasonJ Full Access Member

If you have some mechanical skill, do it yourself. The only real "hard part" is if you have a mechanical fan, and removing the fan clutch.

Otherwise, if you can't do it yourself, you'll pay the man who can whatever he asks for. What are you going to do, not fix the truck? Besides, the price quoted seems pretty spot on to me.