water pump pulley looks loose and is squealing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there a bearing behind the pulley that I can replace or do I have to replace the pump completely? It's not leaking or anything. from what I can see anyway.
I know it's not a big job replacing the water pump....
Thanks

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Just transfer over the pulley onto the new water pump and you should be good to go.
The shaft and bearing is part of the pump.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just transfer over the pulley onto the new water pump and you should be good to go.
The shaft and bearing is part of the pump.

The new WP should come complete with pulley. Or am I not getting something here.

jp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new WP should come complete with pulley. Or am I not getting something here.

The WP I bought had the pulley...no need to take anything else apart. If I could swap out a water pump successfully, anyone can. :)

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pullies come with the water pump. I don't believe any of them can be separated.

Not a difficult job.
remove belt
remove tensioner
remove water pump.

When replacing water pump. Use some sealer on the flat surfaces. Mine leaked and I had to redo.

Tightening the bolts, use a star type of patern and tighten a little at a time. I used a 1/4 drive so I wouldn't overtighten. Snug and then a little bit more.

replace tensioner and belt. Top of fluid and away you go.

How to written by yours truly. I can never self-promote enough, really.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jnaut, that's what I was referring to when I said I knew it wasn't a big job, that's the first thing I checked out and I appreciate your write-up!.

The local parts store said the reman WP is better than the new because the bearings are made in Japan and much better therefore more expensive than the new which has made in China bearings. Anyone hear of this? Only $10 difference.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, BjBnet. My ship will come in... one day.

As for your question, no I haven't heard of where which water pumps are manufactured. I just bought a new one from O'Reilly when mine went out because it was my daily driver and I couldn't wait for even 2nd day air to bring in another one. I don't even remember the brand. I'm not too worried. The instant it makes a funny noise or I see a drop of coolant out the weep hole, I'll order a brand name and swap it out. I mean, the Chrysler OEM wp started weeping prior to 70k miles.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jnaut, that's what I was referring to when I said I knew it wasn't a big job, that's the first thing I checked out and I appreciate your write-up!.

The local parts store said the reman WP is better than the new because the bearings are made in Japan and much better therefore more expensive than the new which has made in China bearings. Anyone hear of this? Only $10 difference.
Don't buy a Airtek water pump,unless you like changing it often,skip all those "new" water pumps also unless you get one from the dealership.