Water pump brand suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grahame

Reaction score
Hello all,

I need to replace the water pump in my 2002 3.7. The dealership wants $315... As a former car salesman at a Jeep dealership I know how much of that is pure markup. Does anyone have any suggestions on a brand I can order online or pick up at an auto parts store that is comparable in quality without the horrendous price gouging? I checked Rock Auto and they range from $37 (no way, not going near that..) to $88 - still seems like a risky low price, but thought I would ask the experts here.

Thanks!

*EDIT: $315 is just for the part.

Last edited:

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run the part # at Amazon & eBay, not unusual to find wholesale prices.

If you want aftermarket then Napa would be the next best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket is fine with me, as long as it is new not rebuilt. But that's just me...

Grahame

Reaction score
Thank you all for the suggestions! I live in Canada and our exchange rate is, not the best, at the moment. If I go with the Mopar wholesale website, after shipping and exchange it is around $250CDN, saving me $85 off the dealership in town, which is significant. When NAPA opens up tomorrow I will head on down and see what they are offering.

Wildebeest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced mine with a a new Cardone pump, which seems like it's decent quality. Metal impeller. $60 at the local parts place.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My original pump failed catastrophically at 65K and left me on the side of the road. Replacement was a Mopar but now has around 70K on it. No signs of leakage and no noises so I don't want to replace it but....the last one failed after 4 hours on the highway and I still do some long trips so keeping an eye on it.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the middle of replacing mine. It was the stock pump and had 163k on it. It was still going pretty good...but I noticed a little bit of "salt" around the pump pulley as well as a slight loss in coolant. I assumed that it was the pump and am replacing it.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought one of this to have it in stock... I hope you've had a good choice! :icon_razz:

So far so good. I've only put about 10 miles on it though :p The Jeep is back apart at the moment. Trying to get the rear end in tune. New UCA, LCAs, Shocks, Coils...

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say just get OEM. My wife had her water pump done at about 85-90k after a failure, her father paid that bill but within 25-30k it failed again. I went to my parts guy at the local Jeep place and got a OEM for cost. I popped the hood to do the job and when removing the pump (which is amazingly easy and took all of 40 minutes for the whole job), noticed the part was definitely a Chinese reman. So far the OEM has been flawless and I don't anticipate dealing with it again in the near future.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Napa and gates are supposed to be the same manufacture as OEM, I did notice differences between oem and aftermarket, very similar but not exact, however Napa and gates are new with very similar impellers and both seem to have much better reputations than the rebuilds or ones with metal impellers.

Our original motor had the oem water pump with over 145k, honestly that impressed me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My issue with the aftermarket pump that we replaced was the seal was complete garbage. It had no life and was basically a flattened hard rubber piece that offered no hope of giving a good seal. When I picked up the OEM part I was astonished at the thickness and tread in the seal.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the gasket with the napa WP is not a flat piece at all.
Then it's probably a much better part, whatever this shop used and as I said it actually was a Chinese part I looked up the # and all stamped, was horrible. I found the pic of the Chinese one I removed.

You must be registered for see images

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
You can pretty much tell where it was leaking from that picture. :icon_cry:

The Gates I got from NAPA had a nice seal as well. Funny how a company can scrimp on a ten-cent part and ruin the reputation of the whole shebang.