Water Crossings...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HIKJ

Reaction score
As far as I can tell from the JEEP video you can cross water without problems when it reaches up to the wheel wells:D
That is TOO MUCH! Top of the front bumper (for the pre-2005'ers: the mid section of it) should be your limit.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
That is TOO MUCH! Top of the front bumper (for the pre-2005'ers: the mid section of it) should be your limit.

Heh, well I'm sure they have a near endless supply of Libertys to make another video with in case they screwed that one up. :)

wildrussian

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What is so differrent about the 2005? I am just curious why you said pre-2005
what happened after2005?

Also I am extending my breathers this weekend!
I hope I can do the ****** one cause everybody makes it sound like its hard to find it.
Wish me luck!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is so differrent about the 2005? I am just curious why you said pre-2005
what happened after2005?

Also I am extending my breathers this weekend!
I hope I can do the ****** one cause everybody makes it sound like its hard to find it.
Wish me luck!

If you cannot find it, get ahold of me and Ill take some pics for you. I can see mine from the bottom. Its around the starter area unless they changed it from 04 to 05. :)

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another warning....I had a guy I worked with whose friend was out in a full sized pickup in the early spring. He was attempting to ford some relatively deep water....well, he's trucking on through when a nice huge sheet of ice was still floating in the path of the truck. He cranked it and blew out the grill and headlamps.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contrary to what some may be telling you (about needing a bow wave in front of your vehicle), go SLOW. That's what the Icelanders have tought me and they know!
Don't jump in as the stupid Jeep site is showing you.
OK, just to clarify (because I think this is directed at a a post I made), I did not say you HAD to have a bow wave. I was merely pointing out to AJ that his guess at the depth might be thrown off because of my bow wave, the top of which was higher than the surrounding water by probably a good 8". I'd just as soon go slow thru crossings like that one (and in fact I was) but when you're traveling upstream some bow wave is inevitable.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice save... what do AZers know about rain? Sheeesh...

(J/K man I don't think anybody was doubting you there, it's just a stupid video)

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice save... what do AZers know about rain? Sheeesh...
Because it rains ONE time a year down here and it always happens when we're on the trail. Water crossings, as in flash floods = survival.... :p ;)

Last edited:

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, just to clarify (because I think this is directed at a a post I made), I did not say you HAD to have a bow wave. I was merely pointing out to AJ that his guess at the depth might be thrown off because of my bow wave, the top of which was higher than the surrounding water by probably a good 8". I'd just as soon go slow thru crossings like that one (and in fact I was) but when you're traveling upstream some bow wave is inevitable.

I think it was directed at the Jeep.com site. The video shows a jeep Liberty water fording and causing bow waves. You can see water go all over the hood and all.

http://www.jeep.com/trailrated/waterfording.html

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it was directed at the Jeep.com site. The video shows a jeep Liberty water fording and causing bow waves. You can see water go all over the hood and all.

http://www.jeep.com/trailrated/waterfording.html
OK, I can see what you're talking about after watching that video, and regarding that:
As far as I can tell from the JEEP video you can cross water without problems when it reaches up to the wheel wells:D
Yeah, I think Jeep should probably retract that one, they show the KJ going thru a *bit* more than the 20" max. they state in the owner's manual. But that's OK, I know I wasn't that deep and this thread has given me the itch to go ahead and extend my breathers this weekend, just need to walk down the street to the Checker store and get some tubing and connectors...

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and extended my breathers. Really not as bad as I thought, although those with the 3.7 and the 42RLE trans will find it easier to extend the trans breather if they remove the coolant overflow bottle - once I did that even my thick hands could get in to pull the top off the factory breather. Oh and a small step would help; I used one of the tires that was waiting to go on my Jeep:
You must be registered for see images attach

I routed both the trans and front diff breathers to the same area in the engine compartment:
You must be registered for see images attach

and I routed the rear diff breather up alongside the fuel filler (seems to be a popular location as well as a really good spot). The only one I didn't get to yet was the t-case, probably crawl under tonight and finish that one off once it cools down, plus I need to figure out the best way to get at it with the skid in place. If I can route it as high as the others then water will pretty much be coming thru my door windows before it gets int the breathers :eek: :D :p

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder how many people warp their rotors going into deep water after city driving (stop and go which heats up the brakes).