Water Crossing Limits...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking through the owner's manual and it states not to take the Liberty into water deeper than 20".

I've seen pics on this board of people with water/mud coming out of an open door. My question is... how water tight are the door seals and how deep can you go without getting water inside?

Thanks for your inputs.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the seals, from what I've seen, it seems to be more luck of the draw. There are some where it is halfway up the door and the headlights are under water and the interior stays completely dry. Then I have seen others where the water just came over the door sill and filled the floorboards.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The inside will stay dry depending on how long you stay in the water. The door seals are not what leak anyway. There are drain holes on the bottom of the door that allow water to get out of the door when it rains and water runs down the windows. Water enters those holes and slowly leaks past the door liners that are behind the door panels. If you ever take the door panels off, you will notice that white plastic is held on with a tar like substance. Thats there to keep water out of the Jeep.. The water will leak around those liners and around the speakers..

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my owners manual states 20" for fording,I have forded through water coming up over my hood 2-3 times.No problems at all,no I did not extend my breathers and still no water where it's not supposed to be.By the way the deep water was for about 100 yards or so with a steady speed of 10 mph.I got worried the first time but after that I had to go through it more and more.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sit in the water too long and your floorboards will be saoked. cuz it was colder out it took nearly a month to finally completely dry.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the Liberty is very capable of forging through water more than 20". As many here, I have had the water coming up over the front bumper (half-way to the grill) while cruising at a low speed. I had not water intrusion on the inside.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the 20" means you can safely stop in the water and park the Jeep. Sure we can ford water up up the headlights, but what happens if you stop for extended periods of time?

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the occasion yesterday to drive through just about 24" of water in a low driveway to get into work. The Liberty felt like it bobbed a little upon initial entry, then I bee-lined to higher ground and sneaked through some mud into our lot. 2-wheel drive, until I hit the mud. No problemo. I would not want to do this everyday, but when needed, the Liberty works.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maby the 20" as stated in the manual is for "legal reasons"???

Dave