Was I "taken" at the stealership???????????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003KJ

Reaction score
KJ04 said:
Do it yourself! Yes your hands will get dirty but, you'll save 90-95% of that $300.00. Just get a plastic hand pump from the auto parts store that screws on the top of the gallon gear oil jug. You can even use regular dino gear oil from Walmart for $6.99 a gal. and save even more.

You actually don't even need the pump. I just filled both of them up untill they couldn't hold anymore.

The only thing is my RTV didn't quite seal up 100% of the way....more like 99.98% and after it sits for atleast 2 days there's a small drop or two of gear oil from the rear. No biggie.

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just received a flyer in the mail today advertising "4x4 Driveline Service"
for $239.90. Includes: drain and refill front and rear diffs; drain and refill transfer case.

dcyamaha

Reaction score
I'm actually thinking about threatening a lawsuit. The bottom line is:

dealership stated that this "needed" to be done when in fact, the service manual says it is not needed unless the car was used in severe conditions (towing, 4x4, snow plowing, etc)

I feel that it was an outright lie that this service had to be done.

chetos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but regardless of of schedule A or B it still has to be done in regular intervals right??? I thought of others here or on LOST had huge bills because they didn't have it done because of axle damage. Could be wrong. The price is steep. Maybe call other dealerships and get some qoutes and take those back to your dealer.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the dealer must request approval from the party in order to go ahead and do any work to a vehicle. If the dealer asked, and was told ok, they do not need to give an estimate prior to the service work. However if they did not get approval and did the work anyway they have some explaining to do. Also most dealers will have you sign a copy of the work order prior to the service being done.

Just some information that might be useful i have worked in the car business for a few years.

sharper

Reaction score
Far as I know diff fluid should be changed every 100k or 120k. $305 is to much for diff fluid its just like an oil change. A jeep dealer tryed to get me for $311 saying my windoww regulators were bad. and I went to another dealer and it was fixed in 10 min FREE of charg and it wasint right from factory.