Warranty info.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clackattack

Reaction score
Does anyone here know where i can get sum stright foward answers about what exactly i can and cant do to my KK so that i dont have any issues with my warranty?

asuwins

Reaction score
Does anyone here know where i can get sum stright foward answers about what exactly i can and cant do to my KK so that i dont have any issues with my warranty?

I have a 2009 Liberty Sport and have the lifetime Maxcare warranty and don't want to do anything to mine as well. I have been working with Airpark Jeep here in Phoenix on what I can and can not do to my liberty without violating the warranty. I’m working with Airpark since they are very pro working with off-road vehicles. Here is where it gets subjective in how the dealer doing the warranty repair work wants to respond to warranty claims: Example
If I put a lift kit on the KK, I risk the CV Joints and ball joints will not be covered under warranty in the event of a failure. Airpark has said they will not install a lift kit unless I agree to waive future lift related warranty claims. This was a major problem for them on the KJ models and they don’t want to experiment on the KK model because repairs cost them too much on the KJ model. Since they are a Jeep Dealership and installed it, they were being called upon to make repairs under warranty and were loosing too much money. However if I did install one and other KK owners without lifts ended up having similar CV Joint or ball joint warranty claims, then they would cover mine if something were to occur since it happens to both lifted and non-lifted vehicles. Since they don’t have a crystal ball on what problems might materialize down the road, they won’t commit one way or another. In addition, the lift kit would not affect any warranty claims for non suspension type items. I know I can have the lift installed by a non Jeep Dealer but don’t want to void out any warranty claims on the CV Joint. I tried to convince them to experiment with my KK since they had not done and won’t do a lift on this model without the waiver but they would not. I still am going to check with a few other Jeep dealers in the area for their thoughts. I’m not talking a radical lift here, just a 2” so I can put some bigger tires on.
Ultimatley is sounds like the dealer could have Chrysler Warranty pay it if they wanted but choose not to.

clackattack

Reaction score
What about size of tires or gearing in accordance with possible ****** issues? Or body alterations(trimming my fenders and bumpers)?

Last edited:

asuwins

Reaction score
What about size of tires or gearing in accordance with possible ****** issues? Or body alterations(trimming my fenders and bumpers)?

Somewhere in Liberty litature it talks about having a max tire size of 31" I have spent about three total hours in discussion with the dealership on my lift/warranty issue and the only thing that has been discussed is the CV Joiints and ball Joints. What I'm learning is to document what is decided between me and the dealer and having the service manager signing what we have agreed to. They are willing to sign and put my lift changes and affects on the warranty in writing. At least if nothing else if for some reasons the warranty was denied I could go back to the dealership. We even had discussions that I'm better off using the skid plates and dragging over obstacles in terms of warranty protection then to lift it. Their reasons is the Factory Skid plates are made for this purpose, the lift kit isn't. Ultimately I'm finding the more I talk to the dealership and get to know them, the more they are willing to do. This dealership sells most of its vehciles as Jeep Wranglers and Liberties and makes a ton of money selling the Wrangler modifications. They are very active in several off-road clubs, last week held a 200 plus entry jeep jamboree over a fairly technical trail, and can't afford to have there name smeared in the mud within this community. That being said, they still don't, but will if I sign a CV Joint and ball joint waiver. Basically they are saying if a dealership will due the modifications, Chrysler is no the hook for the warranty claims.

Diggerfreek

Reaction score

It really comes down to what YOUR dealership says... I know mine up here say any thing 2.0 to 2.5 is fine with out voiding any thing where as some say that any lift will void warranty... as far as ball joints go, you are probably going to suck wind every where as they are considered ware items. The cv;s well, at 4 inches of lift right now, mine are fine and I don't for see any problems in the future...

But to answer the original question, there isn't any set guide lines from jeep...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the majority of dealerships I've talked(talking to techs) to the biggest warranty killer is tire size.It really depends on the dealership and if the district rep is there(no freebie stuff that day,and they are often around).

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
What voids warranties? Mr. Know it ALL says:

1. No records of fluid changes at MFR intervals, they won't honor warranty, if they want to be REAL jerks about it.
2. Gearing changes in the Differentials.
3. Super or Turbocharging the engine (see #4 too)
4. Jet-Chips or other ECM modifications - Any aftermarket performance parts on your vehicle can cause a dealer to suspect that you either drive the car hard or possibly race it. HOWEVER; The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 states that a dealer must prove that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage.
5. Emissions system alterations, also a federal offense.
6. Fires, floods, earthquake or any other environmental disaster.
7. Parts you have another local shop change or replace.
8. Evidence of odometer tampering, and is a federal offense.
7. Use of dirty or improper fluids (including Gasoline).
9. Transmission shift kit, or other invasive mechanical alterations.
10. Evidence of abuse, which is left WAY open for interpretation.

Tires? Never heard anything about it. I had a Geo Tracker with 235s (195s are stock) and warranty work was always honored, with those tires on it. My Avenger did not have the MFR suggested tires, all warranty work was honored; which was only a few thing, the Ball Joints, and moon-roof parts. Never had any drivetrain failures, 150K+ miles too...

You can do interior mods, body... Anyone's major concern is the powertrain... Still, if you install a stereo, and blow the electrical system, they should not honor a warranty, as YOU did it somehow. If you can make it look like it just happened, then there ya go.

Last edited: