Voltage regulator - quick question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And another: http://www.duboismarketing.com/pages/article.asp?id=18

Soft Start; a regulator function that delays the application of field current amperage so as to relieve the mechanical load of the alternator on the engine during cranking and start up.

PCM; Power Control Module (Driving Computer)

PCM Controlled: A Voltage regulator that the voltage is controlled by the PCM.
Ford and Chrysler use PCM controlled Voltage Regulators.

I don't claim to be an expert on all the different charging systems of the world. And I do know that throughout the history of automobiles, there have been varying configurations of internal voltage regulators, external voltage regulators, electronic voltage regulators etc.

If you go to the link above, it does a decent job of describing PCM Controlled vs. PCM Monitored (and the definitions therein) about how voltages are 'regulated' for the charging system.

Basically, they're all different engineering takes on achieving the same goal: charging the battery while under load without over or under charging.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tjkj, i can't remember in the short time span that i briefly looked at the back if the IC "finned" module was on the back of the alternator, but you're right, i did see the bridge rectifier. that part looks nearly identical.

jnaut, thanks for the info. i guess now i'm left scratchin' my head...i'm about to take the new one back off and look under the rear cover just for the heck of it....lol

RickV

Reaction score
Voltage is externally regulated (ecm). If alt.. Tests good and fuse is ok then problem is usally just a bad connection.