VLP (variable line pressure)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody have an 06 Liberty with the 3.7liter and the 42RLE transmission?

If you do you have VLP....I got the following off the allpar web site.

"The 2006 - 3.7 liter equipped with the 42RLE 4 speed auto transmission will be equipped with VLP. It adjusts internal line pressure to reduce parasitic losses to the pump and hydralic system INCREASING GAS MILEAGE AND LENGTHENING TRANSMISSION LIFE SPAN"................. but it didn't really explain it.

1) Soooo.....the 06 gets better gas mileage...Anybody got one and what is your gas mileage??? ( I don't know if they're talking 1 mpg or 4-5 or what)

2) Any techies out there that can explain exactly what this is??

cucmd1

Reaction score
We just bought an 06 Renegade, and it does get better mileage. I couldn't tell you how much of a difference the ****** makes though, because the gearing on this jeep is 3.73, and our sport we traded in had 4.10 s. So mileage is MUCH better. It seems like shifting is crisper than our 04 though. Also, my wife usually drives it during the week, and I drive the beater during the week to work, so I only see weekend driving that we do and really haven't ever figured out mileage.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cucmd1 said:
We just bought an 06 Renegade, and it does get better mileage. I couldn't tell you how much of a difference the ****** makes though, because the gearing on this jeep is 3.73, and our sport we traded in had 4.10 s. So mileage is MUCH better. It seems like shifting is crisper than our 04 though. Also, my wife usually drives it during the week, and I drive the beater during the week to work, so I only see weekend driving that we do and really haven't ever figured out mileage.

The six cylinder gets better than the 4 cylinder, odd.

Anyways, I don't think you are really going to see anything like a 4-5 mpg increase. Just too much aerodynamic drag and the KJ is too heavy.

cucmd1

Reaction score
I haven't noticed any difference in engine braking, and Eddo, I never said I had a 4 cylinder. Our 04 Sport had a six cylinder and 4.10s. :-k

Latest posts

Members online