Vibration at 100 Mph only when accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were on the interstate with no other traffic and had no fear of getting a ticket I could see going 100mph in my KJ. It is common place to run a constant 75mph on the interstate with other traffic so it does not seem like a big stretch. I am sure it will not be as stable as a car would be at high speeds and it is definitely not designed to go that fast very often but I see no reason you could not do it safely under the right conditions. I bet you would not get more than 5 mpg at that speed with the lack of aerodynamics.

a_ibrahem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello ,

am not driving on that speeds often ,and i don really know how is my mpg ,i know that my fulltank can easily drive me 500 to 600 Km

so any suggestions what that vibration could be ?

Thanks and regards,
Ahmed

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KJ is quite happy doing 100 mph in a straight line and is planted and stable in a straight line assuming everything is mechanically ok, but as other people have said in not so many words, 2 tons of jeep suddenly swerving from one lane to another, for example, to miss somebody pulling out in front of you etc would be a different matter. With regard to stressing the KJ, my little old 2.4 manual Jeep is only running at 2/3 of its rpm at 100 mph so the engine will be ok but not sure with the auto box, but big wheel/tyre set-ups like the KJ carry a lot of gyroscopic forces so it would be safer to drive at 90mph till u get ur problem resolved. Better to be safe than sorry cos anything "letting go" at 100 mph WILL have consequences. A safe Jeep is a happy Jeep and as always, drive safely so we can all go on to have many more years of driving at 100mph when we can! Cheers, Steve :Big Laugh:

Attachments

• P1000880.jpg
    P1000880.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 28

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had mine at 101 twice and i didnt like it. i rarely go over 85 now. 75 90% of the time.

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
similar problem in my jeep. everytime i hit 88 mph there is a very strong vibration and a bright light. my radio gets all screwy and for some reason my surroundings look completely different. very weird. IT'S BUSH'S FAULT!!!!!!

jinstall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have ESP, without really upsetting the suspension, the KJ at high speeds will not do anything dangerous as the ESP is VERY intrusive.

I pretty sure I have tested this a lot more than anyone else on this and other KJ forums. Seriously Jeep should hire me as a test driver, as there is not much I can think of that thy test that I have not already put mine through except extreme heat and cold testing.

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KJ is quite happy doing 100 mph in a straight line and is planted and stable in a straight line assuming everything is mechanically ok, but as other people have said in not so many words, 2 tons of jeep suddenly swerving from one lane to another, for example, to miss somebody pulling out in front of you etc would be a different matter. With regard to stressing the KJ, my little old 2.4 manual Jeep is only running at 2/3 of its rpm at 100 mph so the engine will be ok but not sure with the auto box, but big wheel/tyre set-ups like the KJ carry a lot of gyroscopic forces so it would be safer to drive at 90mph till u get ur problem resolved. Better to be safe than sorry cos anything "letting go" at 100 mph WILL have consequences. A safe Jeep is a happy Jeep and as always, drive safely so we can all go on to have many more years of driving at 100mph when we can! Cheers, Steve :Big Laugh:

you are such a liar, that says 99 mph not 100

:dogpile:

EvilEvoIX

Reaction score
I got mine up to 80 last week, solid and fine, window noise however, quite loud. I would imagine stopping at those speeds would be difficult or a lane swerve.

jinstall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can only do 2 or 3 stops at 100+ before the stock rotors and pads fail. Now upgraded rotors and pads will net you much better braking but you are still limited on stops at 100+ to about 4-5 consecutively. You can nurse them around a good hot lap of the Nuerburgring and twisty back roads.

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, you guys...my wife says yer all whimps...hehe. Apparently she's had ours up to 100mph a bunch of times on some stretches of long and lonely Wyoming moonscape back roads. Of course a good set of wheels and tires over stock and no lift helps keep things stable. 100mph is no big deal...as long as nothing decides to jump out in front of you, so do it in the daytime where you can see a long ways off. :Nonono:

Anytime I've done 100 mph...zero vibration, stable, and no worries. Didn't even peel the roof rack off...which was a plus.

I would suggest high speed vibration is either drive line (as others have said) or tire balance or even shocks not keeping things down. Heck, a head wind could be causing lift which would cause vibration. At 100mph the engine isn't near redline...if it was the engine you'd feel it every time you hit the shift points when your foot is mashed.

Last edited:

jinstall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one has more 100 plus runs than I do, period. I also have the highest recorded GPS run on record at 127mph. I have laps on the Nuerburgring of 11:57 and several slalom runs. So sorry to dis appoint your wife. And my wife also has several runs at 100+ when we lived in Germany.

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one has more 100 plus runs than I do, period. I also have the highest recorded GPS run on record at 127mph. I have laps on the Nuerburgring of 11:57 and several slalom runs. So sorry to dis appoint your wife. And my wife also has several runs at 100+ when we lived in Germany.

Oh she wouldn't be disappointed, she'd think it'd be cool to run the Nuerburgring (especially since she loves Top Gear UK and driving), altho preferably in a Porche verses the Heep.

Regardless who runs regularly at 100mph or not, or what trouble can come of doing so, what the OP wanted to know is suggestion on vibration at that speed. Driveline, suspension, tires...can't imagine it's the engine unless he broke a mount which doesn't show up until high speed.

Thelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sometimes when I go around corners on two wheels like on the Dukes of Hazard I notice a vibration, is that normal?

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sometimes when I go around corners on two wheels like on the Dukes of Hazard I notice a vibration, is that normal?

No...not normal because ya gotta weld the doors shut first before doing Dukes o' Hazard maneuvers....that should fix it. :happy175:

Latest posts

Members online