Very Simple Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottZ0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am almost embarrassed to ask this, but I just got a 2003 Liberty Sport and need some help. Unfortunately, it did not come with an owners manual. Can someone explain putting the Liberty into 4WD. I tried to shift it, but it appears very stiff and I did not want to force it. Do you shift it in park? What do the 4hi, 4low, etc. mean?

Thanks for the advice,
Scott

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go HERE

Put your mouse over GET READY, then click on "See how jeep 4x4 systems work." Click on the libby then LEARN MORE. Listen to what the guy says.. O:)

Edit: 4part time and 4fulltime are shift on the fly(under55mph).. To shift into 4 low, the jeeps needs to be rolling 1-3mph and the ****** in N. Pull the lever back to fulltime then to the right and pull it on back..

Which 4x4 system do you have? parttime or fulltime? :-s

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 lo is the only position that requires I put the ****** in neutral to shift to. Fulltime 4 and two wheel drive can be used in any conditions you like, 4 hi ot part time and 4 lo should only be used during low traction conditions when your tires are slipping due to a lack of traction.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You did check in the slot in the glovebox for the manual right? Theres a little cubby shaped for the manual. A lot of people dont see it.

chetos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was my first 4 wheel drive too! I've had front wheel drives all my life. I am really looking forward to better traction this winter!! \:D/ Have fun, be safe.

rxraptor02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chetos said:
Mine was my first 4 wheel drive too! I've had front wheel drives all my life. I am really looking forward to better traction this winter!! \:D/ Have fun, be safe.

Yeah the 4x4 will help you get going and keep going, however your braking will not be improved on slippery surfaces.

reload40s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rxraptor02 said:
chetos said:

Yeah the 4x4 will help you get going and keep going, however your braking will not be improved on slippery surfaces.

That is the greatest lesson to learn for a first-timer. You can go like a bat out of hell but stopping is an entirely different manner.

ScottZ0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You all have been great. I really apprecaiate all the advise. As it turns out, the dealership I bought it from sent me a new manual.

Thanks,
Scott

Members online