Valvoline MaxLife- High Mileage Blend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
YA I know- another oil thread..:gr_grin:

Anyone using this stuff got any comments about it good or bad?

61209[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

61211[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

As a blend it's pour point is still pretty good @ -32.8F
"Seal conditioners" is this a good thing or something to avoid?
IDK but once you start using a seal swelling product, I wonder if you have to keep using it or?

Attachments

• vDaREeX.jpg
    vDaREeX.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 0
  • fguXyaC.jpg
    fguXyaC.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 0

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's pretty well discussed on BITOG.

Valvoline oil in general is sodium based, not moly. Some say that makes them inferior, but there's actually no evidence of that.

I ran it in the KJ for about a year and it didn't really help the oil leaks much. Same with my XJ. Currently running Pennzoil HM in the KJ and XJ and it seems to be improving the leaks some. Maxlife is known to be a milder HM oil, lots of people run it on new vehicles. You can switch back and forth with no issues, although if the seals may or may not shrink again.

I'm running it in my LR3 now, it does seem to turn over easier in the real cold weather than it did on normal Valvoline or Castrol. Too soon to tell anything else, the LR3 had a major oil leak that seemed to happen really quick. I don't know if Maxlife "caused it", but it would've happened no matter what. HM oils need 2-3OCIs before making a judgment usually.

If you have leaks, I'd go for Pennzoil HM or Castrol GTX high mileage. But if you just want a great oil that can help prevent leaks, Maxlife is great. Most on BITOG run it 4000-6000 miles, some will go further.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks HJ all good information there. Will have to then get over to BITOG and catch up.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've tried a few different types of oils, used to used Valvoline Max Life for awhile in another car with no issue. However I've found that Castrol Edge full synthetic 5W-30 works best for the Liberty. 180k miles seems to keeps any leaks or disappearing oil at bay.

I've learned to keep changing out my PCV valve at regular intervals, probably will start doing it annual or semi-annually as when I put a new one in, my oil usage drops. I've gone down and only add about 1-2 quarts between oil changes which is really good considering where I was.

I'm pretty loyal to Castrol, it's been my standard for a long time now in all my cars.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used Valvoline Max-Life in a GMC truck that had 100k plus miles on it. Ran it to about 250K miles and it always ran good and never had any motor work when I gave it to my son who put another 50K miles on it with no engine issues when he gave it up. Not sure if this was due to the oil itself, or just my frequent oil change intervals. As I remember, it was supposed to have additional additives for high mileage engines......supposedly.

That was my experience with using "Max-Life" and the only in one vehicle.

When it comes to oil I think any brand with the "star" on the bottle, (all name brands anyway) are good and the oil change interval and a good filter is the most important. Just my opinion.

Dave

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've tried a few different types of oils, used to used Valvoline Max Life for awhile in another car with no issue. However I've found that Castrol Edge full synthetic 5W-30 works best for the Liberty. 180k miles seems to keeps any leaks or disappearing oil at bay.

I've learned to keep changing out my PCV valve at regular intervals, probably will start doing it annual or semi-annually as when I put a new one in, my oil usage drops. I've gone down and only add about 1-2 quarts between oil changes which is really good considering where I was.

I'm pretty loyal to Castrol, it's been my standard for a long time now in all my cars.

How long have you been running the Edge? HM version?

When it comes to oil I think any brand with the "star" on the bottle, (all name brands anyway) are good and the oil change interval and a good filter is the most important. Just my opinion.

Dave

Exactly this. I thought after being on BITOG I'd be super OCD about oil but most people there say if it meets API specs and any manufacturer specs (we just have MS6395), then buy on price.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i cant find a synthetic i like on sale I use this oil, after the first two cycles of it the mild oil seepage i had near back of engine seems to have stopped. I suspect cycles of using mobile 1 cleaned the seals a bit and this stuff restored their suppleness a little bit.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Kaden

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use napa high mileage oil. It’s the exact same makeup as valvoline because it’s made by valvoline but half the price.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It is very similar to Valvoline since they're both blended by Ashland, but they are slightly different.

Kaden

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either way I’ve been using napa oil for 5yrs now without any problems. It’s good stuff

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used the Napa stuff off and on over the years when it's on sale and I really like it.

BillyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer the Castol synthetic HM as I have not had luck with Valvoline HM (synthetic or blend) slowing or stopping oil leaks. My dad swears by Penzoil and has been using it for as long as I can remember (unless he sends me to get his oil and then he ends up with Castrol).
Another option is to go up in weight a bit to prevent some leaks- move from 5-30 to 10-40. I would recommend doing that during the summer and not winter as you may have a harder start-up.

SourKraut

Reaction score
Anyone ever try running Marvel Mystery Oil with their preferred oil flavor to help with slight leaks? I've been running Pennzoil high mileage in another vehicle that uses oil, about a half qt every 1k miles, and haven't noticed any change in consumption. I was skeptical about it to begin with and have reservations about MMO as well. MMO freed up my seized leaf blower motor, so I believe it at least has some redeeming qualities.

Kaden

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use marvel mystery oil in my gas every once in awile. I have noticed after putting it in my gas that my Jeep is a lot easier to start up in the morning. Side note: Marvel mystery oil is nothing but sewing machine oil with a few cleaning additives put in it.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I prefer the Castol synthetic HM as I have not had luck with Valvoline HM (synthetic or blend) slowing or stopping oil leaks. My dad swears by Penzoil and has been using it for as long as I can remember (unless he sends me to get his oil and then he ends up with Castrol).
Another option is to go up in weight a bit to prevent some leaks- move from 5-30 to 10-40. I would recommend doing that during the summer and not winter as you may have a harder start-up.

How long have you been using the Castrol synthetic HM? Did you always run synthetic?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever try running Marvel Mystery Oil with their preferred oil flavor to help with slight leaks? I've been running Pennzoil high mileage in another vehicle that uses oil, about a half qt every 1k miles, and haven't noticed any change in consumption. I was skeptical about it to begin with and have reservations about MMO as well. MMO freed up my seized leaf blower motor, so I believe it at least has some redeeming qualities.

MMO is good at cleaning crap out but doesn't do anything for leaks that I've ever seen. It also lowers viscosity, which may increase leaking. I ran 20% (1qt) in my 02 KJ on a 2k OCI and it really did clean stuff out. My 02 never lost oil. I never once had to add oil between the 4-5k OCIs I ran. I have used it often in some of my small engines but that was in the gas. Never seemed to do anything for me in gas in my vehicles.

BillyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long have you been using the Castrol synthetic HM? Did you always run synthetic?

I ran Castrol synthetic in my Subaru WRX and Mustang GT. The Mustang ran Castol synthetic from about 36k to about 100k with 5k oil change intervals.
Once I hit about 75k miles in the WRX I changed over to the HM version until about 100k. When my valve cover gaskets started leaking again I switched to Rotella 15-40 synthetic and the leak stopped. I also had a ton less blow-by and the turbo ran a lot better and quieter.

For the Jeep, I have started out with Castrol synthetic and then switched to synthetic HM after some of the sludge was cleaned out. No leaks and very little oil consumption (less than 1 qt over 5k) and I just passed 100k.

BillyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MMO is good at cleaning crap out but doesn't do anything for leaks that I've ever seen. It also lowers viscosity, which may increase leaking. I ran 20% (1qt) in my 02 KJ on a 2k OCI and it really did clean stuff out. My 02 never lost oil. I never once had to add oil between the 4-5k OCIs I ran. I have used it often in some of my small engines but that was in the gas. Never seemed to do anything for me in gas in my vehicles.

I have never run MMO in my oil, but I like to run it in the gas. The engine runs quieter and (for me at least) seems to work best with BP gas.

I ran a bottle of MMO for two tanks and then a bottle of Gumout multi-system tune-up. When I took it out on the highway and floored it, a puff of black smoke came out and then the Jeep ran like a scared horse. I was up to 70 before I knew it.

Does anyone use Seafoam or is that stuff really just liquid smoke. Project Farm had a good video on it but I have never really experienced the same benefits.

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use Seafoam or is that stuff really just liquid smoke. Project Farm had a good video on it but I have never really experienced the same benefits.

I've been running Castrol HM for about 100k miles. Change every 3k religiously. No leaks and my sludge buildup underneath the oil cap is non-existent. I also run about 5-10% Lucas HD oil stabilizer since she started putting a bit of smoke out of the tailpipe.

Seafoam is a great product. Lots of ways to use it. It does wonders when you add it to the vacuum line, cleans out the carbon buildup in the intake. Really ticked off the neighbors when I did that one, monstrous clouds of smoke. I also add a bottle to my gas after an oil change. It seems like it really helps clean up the carbon deposits throughout multiple systems.

I'm going to change my oil this weekend, and plan on adding a bottle of Seafoam to the engine before doing so. I'll report back.