V8 swaps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J4vier129

Reaction score
Would it be possible to swap the OE v6 for a hemi v8? I'm trying to create a r/t jeep liberty but not sure how far to take it.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few have successfully done it, but most attempts I’ve seen over the years have been abandoned. While the 4.7 (5.7?) can physically squeeze into the engine bay and bolt up to the transmission, the electronics that control everything are the biggest hurdle. You may also have to get CRD springs to deal with the additional weight in the front, and also keep in mind the 42RLE transmission is not designed for super high horse power. Neither is your aluminum front differential, for that matter.

J4vier129

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I already had the mindset that I was gonna need engine and transmission along with ecu and other electrical components. Probably rear differential as well as axles and what not, but if there have been successful attempts then I will take that 2% chance

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
VERY FEW, maybe 1 in 500,000
if doing it go SFA first with good quality front and rear diffs
Be a lot of work for not much really

Jar

Reaction score
Maybe find a 2002 Durango 4.7. Mine has been very reliable. 198k with no major engine work. Not even a timing chain! Spark plugs and water pump. My daughter's 2002 liberty has the same transmission as my wife's 2002 Durango 4.7. Not sure what year you are working with. Hemi does not mean RT. Good luck

Latest posts

Members online