V-6 3.7 liter head problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazypj

Reaction score
As the title says, my stepdaughters Jeep has blown head gasket issues.
She overheated it and got towed home.
I pulled spark plugs and did a compression test, everything looked real good. (I can get the numbers but it isn't really relevant now)
Few days later I was turning motor over and coolant came out of several plug holes, (I left plugs out as I wanted to check after it had been standing a few days)
#4 must have been at BDC so shot a jet out over everything, both sides had coolant in cylinders
A quick check looks like right side head is 'bent' about 0.020", haven't checked drivers side yet
Question is, can heads be safely skimmed 0.020"?
I tried search function but was obviously using wrong search terms as I couldn't find any useful information.
What else should I be checking?
I can't see any other obvious damage, the gaskets look fine without any noticeable traces where water was leaking. The machining on heads looks pretty good but the finish is terrible, sharp edges everywhere, including combustion chambers.
It's a 2005 with around 120,000 miles
From internet searches, it seems sort of common mileage for head gasket failure?
Thanks.
PJ

Last edited:

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the tolerances for the head are but I don't think .02 would hurt. Personally I would turn the crank till one of the pistons is at the top of its stroke and measure the clearance of the valves at the bottom of their travel and the clearance of the spark plug.

Sent from my HTC One using the power of Mary's purse