Using a CB Mag Mount on a 06 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pjayuk

Reaction score
Hi Guys

First post from me, I am in the UK and have a 06 Liberty (Call them a Cherokee over here) 3.7 which I love. I came to Jeep after owning Land Rover's and various Japanese junk and I love the car!

Another of my hobbies is long range (DX'ing) CB use, basically I drive up into the hills and set up my radio gear, I dont use the CB while moving apart from very occasionally if offroading in convoy. As my setup is temporary and only used when stationary I normally use a large magmount with a 102" whip mounted on the roof. The SWR and range on this setup has been good but I have a question regarding the use on the my Jeep. The roof of the KJ is "ribbed" which means that the mag mount wont make full contact with the roof so I am not sure whether this will make it very successful for mounting an aerial. I have the stock roof bars which are plastic so wont be an option for mounting an aerial either... Has anyone used a magmount on the roof on there KJ's and what was it like?

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried a mag mount, but check out http://www.arizonarockyroad.com/ for an idea. Just use a piece of angle iron, mounted to the top 2 spare tire mount bolts. You could install a quick disconnect for the antenna and just leave the angle iron there.

Bonus, it would lower that 102" whip when you go offroading so you don't clip as many trees.

Also, I don't know how much power you're running, but I wouldn't run high power with a mag mount, especially not with one that doesn't make full contact with the roof.

pjayuk

Reaction score
I run up to 150 Watts through a Ranger 2970DX..

I agree about the magmount, I would not run full power through this though.

Thanks for the information on fabricating a mount this seems like the way forward....

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am using a mag mount and it fits nicely between the ribs on the roof with no problems. It is only a 3 foot not tuned or anything and hooked up to a motorola portable hand held. Nothing fancy. It gets pretty good range for what it is. Works fine for me.

Dave

TnRebel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

First post from me, I am in the UK and have a 06 Liberty (Call them a Cherokee over here) 3.7 which I love. I came to Jeep after owning Land Rover's and various Japanese junk and I love the car!

Another of my hobbies is long range (DX'ing) CB use, basically I drive up into the hills and set up my radio gear, I dont use the CB while moving apart from very occasionally if offroading in convoy. As my setup is temporary and only used when stationary I normally use a large magmount with a 102" whip mounted on the roof. The SWR and range on this setup has been good but I have a question regarding the use on the my Jeep. The roof of the KJ is "ribbed" which means that the mag mount wont make full contact with the roof so I am not sure whether this will make it very successful for mounting an aerial. I have the stock roof bars which are plastic so wont be an option for mounting an aerial either... Has anyone used a magmount on the roof on there KJ's and what was it like?

Have you checked out this type of mount ?

http://www.claysradioshop.com/acc_magneticbases.htm

You must be registered for see images attach

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You just killed a puppy its a jeep not a car
Lesson #1
Welcome to the site

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked out this type of mount ?

http://www.claysradioshop.com/acc_magneticbases.htm

You must be registered for see images attach

Bingo! that's the beast that a lot of the high powered (500+ watt) radio guys use on their cars (noting your car can't be running while you are using over 800 watts (i think, maybe its 1000) because it interupts you ignition signals and kills the engine).