Used Coolant Disposal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have any auto recyclers around you? After reading the laws for NY state online i found numerous pages saying that recyclers in your state are required to drain and recycle all fluids from vehicles they are dismantling, so they HAVE to have a barrel somewhere to contain the stuff. Sure it might cost a few bucks, but you never know until you ask.

jeepskate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's interesting and kind of sad to see the differing availability in different parts of the country. My county has hazardous waste centers that are open at least every Saturday in seven locations, plus they set up two-day temporary sites in 10 other locations on a quarterly basis. All of them take antifreeze. And all of them are free with proof of residency.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's interesting and kind of sad to see the differing availability in different parts of the country. My county has hazardous waste centers that are open at least every Saturday in seven locations, plus they set up two-day temporary sites in 10 other locations on a quarterly basis. All of them take antifreeze. And all of them are free with proof of residency.

Yeah, they should do that everywhere.

We just have "recycle Centers" where they take the easy stuff (like scrap metal, appliances, glass, paper, etc, etc)

Dave

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they should do that everywhere.

We just have "recycle Centers" where they take the easy stuff (like scrap metal, appliances, glass, paper, etc, etc)

Dave

I agree... They howl about the environment but then they don't provide a place to dispose of it or they charge you to get rid of it!

Around here we have the same things, if you want to get rid of metal, appliances, glass, paper or carboard, plastic, all easy as can be. We are also one of the last few towns that have a city burn site that takes branches, leaves, and any wood thats free of metal or non-combustible materials. Whenever i do some remodeling or such all the wood gets thrown in the trailer and out to the burn site, no charge, and it smells nice around town when they burn it.. LOL

But motor oil and antifreeze and leftover household chemicals and pesticides, thats a whole other deal. I can get rid of the first two for free because i know people, but the average person around here doesn't know that. The auto parts store also takes used batteries but not everybody knows that, seems like there is more than one person around town with a used battery or two behind their garage. Once a year we do have a hazardous waste disposal, they take stuff like household chemicals, pesticides, paint, you name it, but it costs a small fee, and the more you get rid of the more it costs.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here, I have been told to just pour it down the drain if my sewage system is connected to the municipal sewage system.
Unfortunately, we have a septic system so I do not pour it down the drain.
Mind you, I prefer to take it to a place to have it recycled properly. Even if there is a cost to me to do so.
It's called being environmentally responsible.

Yeah, a lot has to do with how where your sewage goes. They don't want people putting it into septic tanks. It's not necessarily illegal on a state-by-state basis to put it into a municipal sewage system.

cdh1125

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those that think its ok to pour down the drain, do you realize where it ends up? Back in the rivers, lakes and streams; which eventually ends up back in someone's faucet. Depending on what state you live in they may cut out the water source and pipe the effluent from the waste plant directly back to the front of the water plant.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those that think its ok to pour down the drain, do you realize where it ends up? Back in the rivers, lakes and streams; which eventually ends up back in someone's faucet. Depending on what state you live in they may cut out the water source and pipe the effluent from the waste plant directly back to the front of the water plant.

That's why you have to ask the municipality if they are able to process it. Here they told me that its processed in such a way at the treatment plant that its not a problem.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

True, but so does your poop, your pee, the Mr. Clean, the Tilex in your shower, every medication known to man and so much else. What ultimately is the goal is keep it out of the the places where it doesn't pass through any kind of treatment plant: Storm drains. Those LITERALLY go straight to the lakes, rivers and oceans.

I'm not advocating putting it down the sewer as the best option, just pointing out that it's NOT illegal to do so everywhere.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, but so does your poop, your pee, the Mr. Clean, the Tilex in your shower, every medication known to man and so much else.

The medication passage worries me more than antifreeze, seriously it does! I watched that 60 minutes where they sampled water supplies from cities all over the country and found that a high level of stuff like hormones and drugs is in them.

Before you know it you will take a drink of water and be over-medicating yourself from the tap in the kitchen.

The biggest safety concern when it comes to Antifreeze according to the EPA website is heavy metal contamination, lead, mercury, and a few other elements that can become dissolved into it. They did mention that fresh Antifreeze doesn't require the same amount of precautions as used. Just like used motor oil is more toxic than fresh because it picks up stuff in the engine over time.

After reading that i made a phone call... I had to call the guy about something else anyway so this just gave me a better reason, he works for the local municipality here. I asked him about lead and mercury and stuff like that in the water supply, he said its kept to the level required by the state and no antifreeze is going to change that, that is unless someone starts dumping hundreds of gallons and the treatment plant can't keep up.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The medication passage worries me more than antifreeze, seriously it does! I watched that 60 minutes where they sampled water supplies from cities all over the country and found that a high level of stuff like hormones and drugs is in them.

Before you know it you will take a drink of water and be over-medicating yourself from the tap in the kitchen.

That way when you drink tap water, you won't need medication, and you can sleep in a snow bank in February and not freeze to death......:D:D

D

Latest posts

Members online