US vs European model?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Has anyone any suggestion how I can update the software in the overhead computer console. I see on the US version that it is possible to set an automatic door lock over certain speed; also it is possible to activate a beep on door lock and open via remote control. Not on European version. I am sure that there are other differences. I have a Jeep Cherokee (the Liberty in Europe) 2005 model CRD 2.8 Auto. Thanks

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know this too! I would think that the temp issue in using an older EVIC in a newer KJ could be fixed by this as well. I don't think the hardware changed all that much. Could be a lucrative little business for someone with the know-how. Download the software from various EVIC's, and for a nominal fee, upload with the software the customer requests.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Software

I don't think anyone has delved into the software of the Jeep. It may not only require reprogramming of the the EVIC unit itself, but could require reprogramming of one or more control modules (BCM, PCM, may others).

I'm not sure what year EVIC's will work in 05 models, and if there are any difference between CRD and Gasser EVIC's.

I think the easiest thing to do would be to swap in an American unit and see if it works the way you want it to. If not, then the research into reprogramming can begin.

The part numbers from the 05 service manual are:

56010 520AD (This part is listed for Left hand drive, both 2WD and 4WD).
56010 527AD (This part doesn't specify drive side, but maybe its for right hand drive).

If you're part number is the same, I would geuss the software is different. If your partnumber is different, you might be able to swap EVIC's and have everything work seamlessly (fingers crossed).

The only people I know of with programming experience on the Jeep modules is B & G Performance (http://www.bgperformancepcm.com). A few members have had their PCM's reprogrammed, in conjunction with performance upgrades, to maximize the horsepower gains.

I seriously doubt they've reprogrammed any units for door lock issues, but maybe a programmer stumbled across something reading through lines of code, who knows? Or maybe they can give you an idea as to what tools you might need to reprogram the unit yourself.

Keep us updated and let us know what you find out.

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i installed a US version EVIC in my 04

i actually watched it change from Passenger door open on the display to Driver, when i installed it, these features you might have to have programmed by your dealer ad they dont show up in the Aus model,

Mike64

Reaction score
Has anyone any suggestion how I can update the software in the overhead computer console. I see on the US version that it is possible to set an automatic door lock over certain speed; also it is possible to activate a beep on door lock and open via remote control. Not on European version. I am sure that there are other differences. I have a Jeep Cherokee (the Liberty in Europe) 2005 model CRD 2.8 Auto. Thanks

I have the same modell (2005 CRD 2.8 Ltd. Auto) and all this settings are possible. So there should be no big difference to the US modell. The manual shows you, how to do this settings.
If you have no manual, you can find it on the US Jeep site:
http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/index.html?year=2005&nameplate=Liberty

regards

Mike

Last edited: