upper/lower back end engine noise, rod knock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ineedabouttreefiddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i purchased my 2002 kj in july of 2011. i bought the jeep from a guy who openly admitted to me that he himslef did a complete engine rebuild because he ran the pervious one without and blew it up. that was 10,000 miles ago to the date, and shes making noise when i step on it at around 2-3K RPM. Now i owned a 1996 suburban 2500, 454 cui and i had a rod go that was wayyyyy louder and im not sure if its something loose or if im completley effed. the sound is more of a rattle (in park and althrought every gear around the same RPM but higher RPM on the highway) and sounds like its coming from the upper/lower back end of the motor. manifold maybe? im clueless here guys, ive got about 2K in tires and the exhaust and im hoping its something other then the cam thats loose. let me know if you can help me out. much bless guys, and thanks for any help or opinion you can toss my way

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Start easy,oil level OK? Has the oil been changed regularly? 3 times in 10,000? checked bolt at exhaust flanges? Anything visible loose? Skid touching? Etc....

ineedabouttreefiddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
starts without a problem, oil changed every 3000 miles with valvoline premium conventional. have not checked those yet but there is nothing visible loose. im completly stumped pn the problem

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might well be dead wrong here but... engine mounts maybe?

Friend's KJ sounds like a diesel and she needs new mounts sooo badly....

Just my 0.02 ( or less.... :eek: ).

ineedabouttreefiddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for that, its another thing ill ask the mechanic. its definitly something on the motor on the top end, doesnt sound terrible but it does sound bad enough to worry