Unwanted Interior Noises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, 6 hours of desert washboard and river bottoms appears to have taken its toll on the Jeep temporarily. I've developed two new sounds in my Jeep. First, I have this metal creaking/groaning sound in my driver door, especially over bumpy areas and turns. It sounds like it's coming from the handle/latch area. Any ideas what this could be or how to fix it? it's 10:40 already, so I'm not gonna go take the door apart tonight. Also, there's a rattle coming from the back window, but I think I remember seeing that somewhere so I'll try to search for that. Anyways, just some new sounds that I've noticed that weren't there before at least that I remember. I'm pretty sure these will all be easily fixed, but they're kinda aggravating right now.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The weather stripping along the top of the glass is REALLY bad to rattle. If you get alot of dust it will make is worse. I usually clean it all up really good and put alittle oil on it.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh Ok thanks. I'm in the middle of waxing it right now and will make sure to work on that. I think one squeak is actually the plastic door panel on the driver door. I'm gonna take it off and put it back on to see if it came loose or something.

CraigS2424

Reaction score
window rattling

I have the same problem with the rear window after banging around on some washboard roads. I've been down a number of rougher ones, but the washboards brought out a new level of rattling. Did the oil work? Any other choices? I suppose I could always ride with the radio on, but I'd rather have the window right.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sindo is probably the latch. Quite common. You need that off-white lubricant liberally spread on it. You may have thought that was messy and wiped it off. It was there for a reason.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. It is the latch rattling. It appears that it is not holding the window tightly enough so it moves around slightly while driving. I'm just getting ready to head out to the garage and see what I can do, even though its 116 degrees outside.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright somebody help. I thought I had found the solution in an electrical connection to the wiper that had come loose and was moving freely in the door. However, I took it out for a spin and, much to my dismay, the sound is still there. I did quite a few drives and have discovered that te sound is much worse when the spare tire is on the Jeep than when it is off. The bracket and tire were both tight so I don't believe that is the issue. However, I do think that the weight of the tire amplifies the sound. My only idea is that the door is not properly aligned anymore, but I'm not sure on how to correct that.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
desertkj said:
Alright somebody help. I thought I had found the solution in an electrical connection to the wiper that had come loose and was moving freely in the door. However, I took it out for a spin and, much to my dismay, the sound is still there. I did quite a few drives and have discovered that te sound is much worse when the spare tire is on the Jeep than when it is off. The bracket and tire were both tight so I don't believe that is the issue. However, I do think that the weight of the tire amplifies the sound. My only idea is that the door is not properly aligned anymore, but I'm not sure on how to correct that.

Sounds like it to me. Starts to sag a little overtime with the weight of the spare. You can adjust the bump stop/catchs and pretty much elimiate the rattle.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing to look at is the rear seat latches that allow the seats to fold down. Sometimes they loosen up and rattle.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel so stupid! I loosened up the bolts on the liftgate to adjust it and when I thought I was done, the door wouldnt close and that scared the crap outta me. So no matter what I did, I couldnt fix it. So I had to bring it in with the door tied shut to get it fixed. After feeling ******** after explaining the issue, the service guy fixed it for free in 15 min. I hadnt realized that the latch you take off on the frame also could be adjusted. #-o #-o #-o #-o Oh and the rattle is still there. After that, im giving up and seeing if the dealer can find anything.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well. This ordeal is almost completed after I find a bracket for the new handle. Anyway, after all this trouble, I've discovered that it is the entire door rattling which cant be fixed. It looks like somehow a vibration of the tire resonates the entire door and is amplified. Fortunately, there were some other loose things I've fised, so the sound deading of the back trim does an adequate job of silencing the rattle.

Final Score: KJ- 1 Shawn- 0