UCA/UBJ replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow afternoon I have 2 hours to make an emergency repair to replace my broken Upper Ball Joint. Anyone have a link to a really good how to and a list of all tools required? My replacement UBJ is in a UCA I got from someone here, is a UCA swap needed or can I take out the UBJ from my spare UCA?

Here is a picture of the carnage.
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
If your using stock UCA the ball joint is non replaceable. The driver/left side requires a long extension,24in.,and a flex coupler to get at the rear bolt.Do not recall the bolt size right now.

DirtyKK

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
you can get away with a basic tool set and just give the ball joint a couple good wacks with a hammer to remove it from the knuckle. have to do the entire uca for the ubj. hope youre doing it on the passenger side!

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Passenger side is really easy. Shouldn't take more than 30-45 minutes even if you have never done it. Just make sure you have the right size metric socket for the 2 bolts that hold the arm in. 17 or 18 mm - can't remember exactly.

bjs2063

Reaction score
Was this an unexpected failure? Or were you doing something that caused it? Just curious.

Good luck with the repair.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Long Tall Texan said pull the wheel put a jack under the lower A arm wack that upper ball joint with a hammer (remove nut first) and pull the air box off to get at the A arm bolts. Getting an alignment after and waiting to do that most likly will take longer.

Last edited:

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw grease on the ball joint about 12k miles ago. It was popping for the last three days but I didn't have time to diagnose the sound. I figured I could wait til Wednesday and take it to the shop. I wish I knew about the hammer about an hour before you posted, lol. I went to three places looking for a ball joint puller before I was told all I needed was a BFH. I went and grabbed my BFH and the old ball joint was out in 63 seconds of tapping.