UCA access

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After i installed my lift i had to change all the ball joints. I tried best i could to torque the uca bolts but i had to use and extension and im not sure i got full torque because of the extension. Any one have and pointers to get some more room or maybe go at it at a different angle? the passenger side was the hardest to get to so that side is my main concern.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After i installed my lift i had to change all the ball joints. I tried best i could to torque the uca bolts but i had to use and extension and im not sure i got full torque because of the extension. Any one have and pointers to get some more room or maybe go at it at a different angle? the passenger side was the hardest to get to so that side is my main concern.

Is it making any noises or anything to cause concern?

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i removed everything i could if i remember right it was either the brake booster and master cylinder or the cruise control vacuum block that was in the way. I had to use way more extensions then i probly should have and thats were my concern lies. For every article i find that says a straight extension doesnt reduce torque only a crowsfoot or similar extension will theres another article that says it does reduce torque due to the extensions twisting under stress. So i just want to be sure i have them on atleat close to the proper specs.

Edit: removed battery and battery box and the air box on the otherside. I think there was more but i cant remember.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Remove battery/fuse box on drivers, air on passenger. For the drivers, approach it from the front, not the sides, it seemed to help me.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove battery/fuse box on drivers, air on passenger. For the drivers, approach it from the front, not the sides, it seemed to help me.

Ill give it a shot. Any input on the torque reduction using a straight extension?

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont see how torque would be affected at all by using an extension unless the extension was twisting. In that case the difference between tight and almost tight would surely be a minuscule amount of actual turn on the bolt.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
It was "fun" working around the brake lines on the front passenger bolt :happy175:

P.S. What caused you to change your hub NJ? Symptoms?

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was "fun" working around the brake lines on the front passenger bolt :happy175:

P.S. What caused you to change your hub NJ? Symptoms?

The bearing was bad. You could here the wear while driving. Damn thing was really on there too, had to remove the lbj from the control arm to go at it from the inside. Buuut i must nicked the boot when i was tapping the lower control arm to pop the ball joint, and now it wont hold grease and you can here and feel the binding when in full lock to the left. Every time the boot gets pressure while turning it spits grease, sooo there goes another 50 bucks lol. Damn things like 2 months old too

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Allow me to go into further detail because although the boot is torn im not 100% convinced thats the problem here. So like i said before while changing the passenger hub bearing i must of nicked the boot on the lbj. After everything was put together i test drove it and when turning left into my drive way the wheel and pedals vibrate and it makes a sort of rubbing noise. I looked behind the passenger wheel and saw that the rubber brake line was pinched in between the clevis and the knuckle, Got that moved and still have noise. I greased the bj and even the very first turn of the wheel left produced the same vibrations and noise. So im torn between the ball joint binding or skmething going on with the brakes. Or maybe i got a defective hub? One last scenario is courtesy of a mechanic friend. He said that when i took the cv out of the hub i could have pulled the inner universal apart because its not held together with anything? Im not sure if that theory holds water but im bringing everything to the table before i go replacing a potential good bj. If any one else has an idea im open to try what ever. Just wanted to consult the community before i go ordering more parts. Thanks as always, NJ