ubj and spring contact

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
That's got the front billet aluminum strut extensions right?

Anytime you move the struts down from the top it creates ubj contact, an inherit problem with these types of lifts. Best solution is to swap out the front springs and get rid of the strut extensions. The shocks should be ok to keep.

Bennett

SCOTTYBOY

Reaction score
swap out the strut and spring and get a whole new coil over like a OME or frakenlift?Can I keep the back the way it is? the spacer is between the cleavis and strut on the bottom of the strut.if I kept the springs then whats going to lift the front

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
SCOTTYBOY said:
swap out the strut and spring and get a whole new coil over like a OME or frakenlift?Can I keep the back the way it is? the spacer is between the cleavis and strut on the bottom of the strut.if I kept the springs then whats going to lift the front

Back should be ok...

If you get a medium rusty's front spring... the strut should be ok to keep, since they are all the same length, (i've found my ranchos are the same length as the stockers)

Do you have any pictures of the your front suspension setup?

Bennett

SCOTTYBOY

Reaction score
so the springs are a little longer therefore adding a couple inches up front.It is a billet spacer I can throw some pics up if you want

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
SCOTTYBOY said:
so the springs are a little longer therefore adding a couple inches up front.It is a billet spacer I can throw some pics up if you want

There's just more coils in the springs... therefore do not compress as much.

Bennett

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you ask Rusty for the right lift springs, he has 3 spring rates if you have or are planning on adding an after market front bumper & winch.

You may have already damaged your struts and upper balljoints, have them checked!

Rusty's # is 256-442-0607

ogfalcon

Reaction score
You can also get the Rusty's Over-the-Top spacer kit, which Tony at Rustys' said will eliminate the UBJ contact problems and will give you back the 2.5" of travel you lost when you installed the spacer. I, too, have the Rough Country lift and am replacing it with a Rusty's spacer lift tomorrow morning.

OG

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ogfalcon said:
You can also get the Rusty's Over-the-Top spacer kit, which Tony at Rustys' said will eliminate the UBJ contact problems and will give you back the 2.5" of travel you lost when you installed the spacer. I, too, have the Rough Country lift and am replacing it with a Rusty's spacer lift tomorrow morning.

OG

Let us know how it turns out.

Rusty's OTT is the same as Rocky Roads OTT, which is know for the same problems. Unless something is changed I don't see it helping much. But let us know with some pictures of the UBJs.

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eddo said:
ogfalcon said:

OG

Let us know how it turns out.

Rusty's OTT is the same as Rocky Roads OTT, which is know for the same problems. Unless something is changed I don't see it helping much. But let us know with some pictures of the UBJs.

Sounds like you need to do more research on lifts. Replacing the Rough Country with the Rusty's OTT is just asking for more headaches down the road.

Why not just get a pair of Rusty's front coils and a set of his 1/4 strut pates and a pair of Rancho struts and be done, with a far superior front end lift that will be problem free.
Yeah, it's going to cost a little more but you won't have be tearing it down again in 6 months. Do it right the first time and you end up saving money in the long run.

ogfalcon

Reaction score
KJ04, as for the research, I was quoting one of the techs at Rustys. However, I did go with the new strut assembly instead of the spacers because I plan to keep the Jeep for a while.

OG

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ogfalcon said:
KJ04, as for the research, I was quoting one of the techs at Rustys. However, I did go with the new strut assembly instead of the spacers because I plan to keep the Jeep for a while.

OG

Good decission!