U-Haul Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hueyflyer

Reaction score
HI fellow KJ lovers. I am planning an approx 1000 mile from upstate NY to Middle Tennessee household move early next month and am looking for experinces with U-Haul trailers. My Jeep does not have any towing package.

Considerations are:

5 X 8 trailer.....empty wt 900, max load 1800

6 X 10 empty 1250 max load 1550

6 X 12 empty 1800 max load 2600

Any experinces would be appreciated.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the 5x8 for about 350 miles or so....I have the towing package, but the Jeep really did well. I am not an experienced "tower", but my parents always had a 24' travel trailer when I was growing up, so I have some knowledge.

I was nervous bringing it home. Empty it was jumping around and just uncomfortable to tow. Not at all like the travel trailer. Got it loaded, and there was no problem whatsoever. I did about 65mph on the e-way without batting an eye.

Prest989

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any of those trailers will be fine. You'll probably feel the 12 foot trailer back there since its a bit longer, it might tend to wobble a bit at high speed while empty. I've pulled alot of trailers w/ mine, from a 19 foot boat, to a 6 foot lawn mower trailer to a 12 foot motorcycle trailer. Each trailer did fine, and you should have no problems w/ any of them.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
non of those come close to exceeding its towing capabilities. Though i would recommend installing a ****** cooler, just to be safe, 1000miles is quite a trip

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, pulled a 6x12 from Albuquerque to Mesa (450 miles) and had no problems. Did about 60mph on the freeway, only concern I had was coming down the 6% grades into Payson and on into Mesa but no problems. It was a bit sluggish going up steep grades but I kinda expected that.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't have any trouble with any of the trailer sizes/weights you mentioned. It will be mostly interstate driving. Lock out o/d on any long inclines to keep the ****** from shifting between d and o/d. It will run cooler. I wouldn't be surprised if you had a ****** cooler. Look around the radiator. It will be a seperate unit with lines running to the ******. Leave extra stopping distance.

Have a safe trip.

Dave

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine doesnt run cooler, it runs hotter when towing and thats why you use a higher octane. The gas will pre-detonate when running a lower octane which will cause pinging.

Anyway, your liberty can tow any of those trailers no problem.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, but IIRC pinging can make the engine run hotter, thus running premium will help keep temps down too.

Very common in classic cars - ignition timing is wrong, and you get pre-detonation, and your temps go up drastically.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the 6x12 over two mountain passes two Saturday's ago. I didn't need that large a trailer but my past towing experience has shown me that longer, heavier, two axle trailers are a more stable tow than little single axle trailers. I really hardly noticed the trailer was back there but the CRD is a little stronger than the gasser as a two rig.

One observation that I had was the 6x10 U-Hauls I saw were older and more beat up than the 6x12 trailers.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 6X10 I pull all the time, longest trip was from Toledo to Boston and back, over 1500 miles in 3 days, coming back was FULLY loaded! No problems and did not run higher priced gas , waste of money!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tom

Epic-yoda

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the board and this is my first post. I tow a 21 ft skiboat thats about 3,000lbs and my lib handels it just fine. I just take it easy on takeoff and trailer brakes do the rest. A uhaul trailer should be no prob.

Epic-yoda

Reaction score
I never run premium gas only in my boat never knocks or pings and doesn't run hotter than normal.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Someone please show where it says to run higher test gas to prevent pinging!! Yes in older cars you sometimes had to but with the computers controlling everything now, dont think so, never have had a problem and mine has 85,000 on it now and I do pull in the hills, Oh well........