Trouble removing fuel injectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hotelmode

Reaction score
Hello. I did a search but didn't find anybody with a similar problem. I recently replaced both head gaskets (big job for me, took a long time!). Everything seems to be working ok, but one of the fuel injectors is leaking fuel where it plugs into the rail.

I was able to remove the rail to do the HG job, but I haven't been able to get the actual injectors out. No matter how hard I pull they won't come out.

Does anybody know of any tricks? I'm not a little guy so pulling and pushing things with force isn't usually much of a problem.

Should I pull the rail off again, and then remove the injectors individually? Leave the rail on with the clips in place and pull harder? I don't think I can pull harder, I've been putting a lot of effort into it.

My other option is to just pull the rail off and leave the injectors in, because all I'm doing is putting new O-rings on the top, but I want to take them out just to say I did and to give them a visual inspection. Also if I decide to replace them with the 4-hole Bosch injectors I'll have to take them out at that point.

Thanks!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
There is a special tool for pulling injectors from the CRD engine that usually isn't needed. Maybe there's something similar for the gas engines.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a special tool for pulling injectors from the CRD engine that usually isn't needed. Maybe there's something similar for the gas engines.

No tool required. Had a bad injector caused from a bad o ring. Pulled the two bolts on one side and remove the injector by pulling it at an angle.

hotelmode

Reaction score

I used a wrench which sort of fits around the outside of them and was able to pry most of them up. I have one left that won't come out.

Edit/Update: I got the last one out by gripping the base of it with vice-grips and using a screwdriver to pry up on the vice-grips. Luckily I didn't damage anything that I know of, just some scratched up plastic.

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting the bloody fuel rail to attach securely has always been the trouble spot for me. I put it all together, everything looks good.... and then I fire it up and fuel is leaking around the clips. :favorites68:

Seems it takes twice as long as it should.

Bob

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting the bloody fuel rail to attach securely has always been the trouble spot for me. I put it all together, everything looks good.... and then I fire it up and fuel is leaking around the clips. :favorites68:

Bob

Push down on fuel rail and make sure the clips are not bent apart

hotelmode

Reaction score

Bob

Same. The other day when I was putting everything back together it seemed to go smoothly, but one of the injectors was leaking everywhere. I decided to do it properly the second time, replacing bottom and top o-rings and inspecting the injectors. Wetting the o-rings made them easy to insert into the rail, and then I just had to push hard and wiggle to get the injectors into the heads. Definitely took way longer than it should have, but no leaks. I did discover a few torn o-rings, and the bottom ones were old and stiff. Also the injector that was leaking had a bent clip, which probably had something to do with it.