Transmission temp warning light comes on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pbeinetti

Reaction score
I have an '04 Renegade -- bought used. When I go up in the mountains on a dirt road (not very steep) the transmission temp warning light comes on. I took it to the Jeep dealer and he serviced the ******, and said I probably need an oversized radiator (not!). I took it to a tranmission place and they said I probably need an oversized transmission cooler. I can't figure out why I would need anything when my car can go up this road with no problem. Anyone have ideas on what the problem might be?

Thanks,

Pete

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '04 Renegade -- bought used. When I go up in the mountains on a dirt road (not very steep) the transmission temp warning light comes on. I took it to the Jeep dealer and he serviced the ******, and said I probably need an oversized radiator (not!). I took it to a tranmission place and they said I probably need an oversized transmission cooler. I can't figure out why I would need anything when my car can go up this road with no problem. Anyone have ideas on what the problem might be?

Thanks,

Pete
It's called a crappy ****** called the 42RLE(a minivan ******) and the fact they do not run the ****** cooler in the radiator anymore which really helps control temp spikes in the ****** causing the light to come on.Chrysler yanked the good ******'s that came in the '02 and very early '03 KJ's,the 45RFE.

I would invest in a bigger ****** cooler,or when on steep climbs use 4low,only on loose surfaces only though.That's your only 2 choices,sorry.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's called a crappy ****** called the 42RLE(a minivan ******) and the fact they do not run the ****** cooler in the radiator anymore which really helps control temp spikes in the ****** causing the light to come on.Chrysler yanked the good ******'s that came in the '02 and very early '03 KJ's,the 45RFE.

I would invest in a bigger ****** cooler,or when on steep climbs use 4low,only on loose surfaces only though.That's your only 2 choices,sorry.

I have an 04 which would give me an 42RLE, right? I have done steep climbs in very rough terrain (we have *real* mountains where I live) which have lasted hours and never once had my ****** temp light come on. I'm tempted to think he may actually have a problem.

pbeinetti: If you're doing climbs for extended periods of time, turn the overdrive off and downshift to second to minimize continuous shifting of the ******.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Oh great, another 42RLE bashing thread.

jnaut, I'm with you... I have never... EVER seen the "TRANS TEMP" light on.

I think maybe the transmission temp sensor may be out of whack.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 which would give me an 42RLE, right? I have done steep climbs in very rough terrain (we have *real* mountains where I live) which have lasted hours and never once had my ****** temp light come on. I'm tempted to think he may actually have a problem.

pbeinetti: If you're doing climbs for extended periods of time, turn the overdrive off and downshift to second to minimize continuous shifting of the ******.
Many KJ's that I wheel with here in CO have had the ****** temp lights come on just on the road leading to the trail head,the ones with the 42RLE,but all is swell as soon as they shift into 4low.I have never had a problem with my ****** temps,either has anyone else here that has the 45RFE in the same conditions,better cooling and a better ****** for the KJ's weight.

Many 42RLE's have overheated making that nice climb to over 10,000' just to get to some trails here.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many KJ's that I wheel with here in CO have had the ****** temp lights come on just on the road leading to the trail head,the ones with the 42RLE,but all is swell as soon as they shift into 4low.I have never had a problem with my ****** temps,either has anyone else here that has the 45RFE in the same conditions,better cooling and a better ****** for the KJ's weight.

Many 42RLE's have overheated making that nice climb to over 10,000' just to get to some trails here.

TJKJ, I don't deny that the 42rle may overheat more quickly-- or be more prone to failure than the 42rfe. I'm just skeptical that a trans temp light would come on after a short hill climb. As I say, (see my avatar picture) I've driven significant- 1/2 day mountain (I'm not even going to call them hill climbs anymore) over rocks and nasty terrain and never once seen a trans temp. To be honest, I want to add a trans temp gauge because I've been very concerned about my trans temp in those conditions-- as well one should.

Had pbeinetti given us more information, like he was rock-crawling or some such thing that required significant stress on his ******, I probably wouldn't have piped up. Also, I haven't checked pbeinetti's profile, so I don't know where he/she hails from, so he/she may be driving in a hot climate-- like phoenix. I'm generally in a cooler climate so I know that might be a factor.:confused: However, once you're working your ****** and it gets up to temperature, the difference between say, 82 degrees and 98 degrees ambient probably won't make the difference between a temp light and no temp light.

Maybe we could get some more info from pbeinetti, like amount of time on trail before ****** temp light comes on. Where he lives-- hot climate/temperate, how steep, whether he runs in od-off or od-on. What gear he keeps his auto-****** in when climbing. Whether he's even in 4wd mode, let alone 4wd hi/low.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TJKJ, I don't deny that the 42rle may overheat more quickly-- or be more prone to failure than the 42rfe. I'm just skeptical that a trans temp light would come on after a short hill climb. As I say, (see my avatar picture) I've driven significant- 1/2 day mountain (I'm not even going to call them hill climbs anymore) over rocks and nasty terrain and never once seen a trans temp. To be honest, I want to add a trans temp gauge because I've been very concerned about my trans temp in those conditions-- as well one should.

Had pbeinetti given us more information, like he was rock-crawling or some such thing that required significant stress on his ******, I probably wouldn't have piped up. Also, I haven't checked pbeinetti's profile, so I don't know where he/she hails from, so he/she may be driving in a hot climate-- like phoenix. I'm generally in a cooler climate so I know that might be a factor.:confused: However, once you're working your ****** and it gets up to temperature, the difference between say, 82 degrees and 98 degrees ambient probably won't make the difference between a temp light and no temp light.

Maybe we could get some more info from pbeinetti, like amount of time on trail before ****** temp light comes on. Where he lives-- hot climate/temperate, how steep, whether he runs in od-off or od-on. What gear he keeps his auto-****** in when climbing. Whether he's even in 4wd mode, let alone 4wd hi/low.
Are you in 4low during those 1/2 day trail runs,I bet you were and why your light has not come on.Try that same stuff while in 4hi or 2wd and you will see your trans temp light come on.

Oh and the difference between 82 degrees and 98 degrees will have a huge effect on your ****** temp,as will the humitity,altitude,and if useing A/C or not.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
42 Rle

I've had my 04 RME up to 14,000 feet (on pavement) and have wheeled over 10,000 feet multiple times. I've towed a car and trailer (approx. 4800 pounds over Loveland Pass (12,000 feet). I've never had my temp light come on.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you in 4low during those 1/2 day trail runs,I bet you were and why your light has not come on.Try that same stuff while in 4hi or 2wd and you will see your trans temp light come on.

Mixed. 4hi when the trail was steep, but smooth, 4lo when it was rocky and uneven, or there was a particular obstacle (rut, hump etc.) that was difficult to navigate. So *mostly* in 4hi.

I'm also very careful to stay in 2nd w/OD off. Agreed on the AC issue-- totally. I tend to wheel w/o AC, because I don't want the extra strain on my cooling and engine. Plus, my windows are down when I wheel, I don't know about you guys, but I gotta keep peeking my head out the window to see where my wheels are on the obstacle.

Unfortunately, I don't know if I'll ever get to test out the 82 vs 98 degree differential. a 98 degree day would be extremely rare here, so I'll just have to defer to you on this. I have done a little bit of wheeling in those temps, but it would have been considered light wheeling as I was toodling around on the east side of the Cascades.

It's also tough to compare altitudes, because here, altitudes are all ASL. Ie, I start my 4wheeling trips at sea level (0 ft) and cruise to 4200+ or so feet.

This trail where your counterparts are going up the trail-- is it rocky? Hard wheeling/rock crawling just to get there?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This trail where your counterparts are going up the trail-- is it rocky? Hard wheeling/rock crawling just to get there?
Totally smooth and sometimes paved or a well maintained gravel road,not even to the trail yet.Very common going to Eagle Rock trail due to the very curvy gravel road and the inability to go above 15-20mph for about 15 miles.

We usually start at about 6000'-7000' and can end up over 12,000'+ in as little as 2-3 miles.I have started at a trail head where it was 80 some degrees and at the turn around point of the trail(Twin Cone,about 3.5 miles to the turn around) it was at about mid 40 degrees.

VTNomad42 Rle
I've had my 04 RME up to 14,000 feet (on pavement) and have wheeled over 10,000 feet multiple times. I've towed a car and trailer (approx. 4800 pounds over Loveland Pass (12,000 feet). I've never had my temp light come on.
Going 30+mph will make a world of difference in cooling,a slow crawl in high heat and high altitude and NOT in 4low will cause a ****** to overheat.

pbeinetti

Reaction score
More information, as requested. I am in Colorado Springs, take Old Stage Rd (some of you might know where I'm talking about). I get about 8 miles out, and the dirt road gets a bit steep for a few miles. I'm in 2nd gear, high -- ****** temp light comes on. Ambient temp about 75 degrees. Transmission tech doesn't think there is a problem -- says to put duct tape over the light -- forget it. Thinks it might be an over sensitive sensor. BUT, to replace sensor requires ****** full service -- ugh!!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More information, as requested. I am in Colorado Springs, take Old Stage Rd (some of you might know where I'm talking about). I get about 8 miles out, and the dirt road gets a bit steep for a few miles. I'm in 2nd gear, high -- ****** temp light comes on. Ambient temp about 75 degrees. Transmission tech doesn't think there is a problem -- says to put duct tape over the light -- forget it. Thinks it might be an over sensitive sensor. BUT, to replace sensor requires ****** full service -- ugh!!
I know exactly the road you are talking about and everytime we go on that road to get to Eagle Rock trail all the KJ's with the 42RLE have the trans temp lights come on at about the resivoir(8 or so miles in),those of us with the 45RFE's do not have a problem.

pbeinetti

Reaction score
My problem sounds like the other guy in CO. I'm from Colorado Springs, and to get to trailheads there is a lot of slow wheeling (10-15mph), with pretty good climbs. It's on smooth dirt roads, but that's when the ****** temp light comes on. I suspect altitude might also be a factor -- I'm usually at 8-12,000 feet. The ****** tech didn't think there was a problem -- said to cover the light with duct tape. But, I think the answer is shifting to 4lo, as suggested. I have never done that (haven't needed to), but if the ****** IS getting hot, and 4lo solves the problem, it's a no brainer. I have shifted to 4hi, and the light still comes on. Maybe I'll go to a larger ****** cooler in the future.
BTW, Jeep service said to put the KJ into 2nd gear, and leave it. ****** guy said NOT to leave it in 2nd gear -- transmission would be turning too fast, and would DEFINITELY overheat. Duh! Somebody has to be right.

Thanks for the help.

Pete

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never had any problems with my 42rle. Most of the time you just need to limit the ****** to a certain gear so that it doesnt shift so much. By doing this you reduce the amount of heat in the ******. A bigger ****** cooler will also help a lot.

There are tons of people that offroad with the 42rle with no issues. Its not a bullet proof ****** so it does need to be watched and serviced properly.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are tons of people that offroad with the 42rle with no issues. Its not a built proof ****** so it does need to be watched and serviced properly.
Climbing from 6000' to over 12,000' in a few miles in 2wd or 4hi and even limiting the ****** in 1st or 2nd gear will cause problems with the 42RLE.Most of you are not doing the very long and steep climbs at altitudes that are common here in CO.

A bigger ****** cooler will help but the best way is to get a radiator for a KJ that has a 45RFE,it has a ****** cooler built into the right side radiator tank.Having that cooler in the radiator really helps stabilize the ****** temps,unlike the KJ's with the 42RLE's use only a standalone ****** cooler and can not regulate temp spikes like the in-radiator cooler can.I have the 45RFE with the in-radiator ****** cooler then route the ****** fliud to a AUX ****** cooler ment for a 28,000lbs RV,then sent the ****** fluid back to the ******.

Driving on those steep,long climbs in 4low will help also,as long as the road is gravel to prevent driveline bind.Just lock out O/D and let the ****** shift into 1st,2nd,and 3rd so your not over-revving the engine.

pbeinetti

Reaction score
Now I understand the problem -- thanks for everyone's input. I'm convinced that the very slow speeds, steep and long climbs, and small ****** cooler is the problem. Changing the temp sensor does not sound like the solution -- the fact is, the ****** is starting to get hot. It shouldn't -- the thing should have been better made -- but, it's not. So for now I'll shift to 4lo when I get to these spots where the temp light comes on -- I know exactly where they are. If I keep the KJ I'll look into getting a larger ****** cooler.

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 06 renegade V-6 started acting goofy(all the warning lights would flash on, including the ****** temp, then all would go back off. This would happen every couple of hundred miles (hate going to the dealership). We would check fluids, check mechanicals and find nothing amiss. Then the check engine light came on and stayed on, so off to the dealership(thinking it is a electrical problem). Get a call from them the next day, they tell me the ****** needs clutches, sensors, flush, etc(under warantee(wheew*wiping brow*)). We were surprised because the ****** never acted up. It ran smooth, no leaks, no burnt smell, no nothing. We wheel in the desert in freezing to 110 degrees and the trans temp light didn't come on in 110 heat but came on in early spring(50-70 degrees). We didn't abuse our Jeep, just use her. We can't/couldn't figure it out.

Latest posts

Members online