Transmission Service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My auto transmission had been clunking for the past year or so, especially on hard braking, but it appeared normal from posts on here so I ignored it. Then a couple months ago it started not shifting down when coming to a full stop, when very cold, then would be normal after 10 minutes of driving.

I brought it in, the dealer serviced it, adjusted, did fluids and filter in it, and it's now like new. Smooth shifts, no clunking. This is not the first full ****** service, I did it at the scheduled interval a couple years ago, and have changed ****** fluid once per year just for precaution because I tow a light utility trailer (6 x 8 ft aluminum frame), 3/4 plywood bed) on occasion with max 700 lbs. Right now at 115 k km.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you even notice the 700lb trailer?

Changing the ****** fluid once per year is a bit much, but it can only help.

I change mine every 30k.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have towed around 4,500# all over with no problems. I lock out O/D and no problems. The KJ is tough and rated for 5,000#. The ****** service is a good thing to do and also the rear diff if you tow a lot.

If you are towing under 1,000# though I wouldn't even worry about it. Even some FWD cars are rated for 1,000-1,500# believe it or not.

Dave