Transmission Light on, auto not changing gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aburman

Reaction score
Heya All, long time lurker, 1st time posting ... struck a problem today with my 2002 KJ 3.7 Auto, hoping someone can give me some advice?

Did a beach run today, did my best to avoid getting the jeep too wet, Salt water & sand + jeep isn't the best combination eh?

anyway, got off the beach and back onto a gravel road, noticed that the Transmission Light had come on? parked up for a bit, crossed my fingers and hoped it would go away .. started her up and trans light stayed on :(

I can maneuver the shifter ok between park/reverse/n/d/2/1, 4x4 transfer case doesn't appear to be affected, however clicking on the overdrive doesn't seem to make a difference, its slow to accelerate, almost like its stuck in 3rd gear?

Have checked the fluid and that's ok, a quick search of the forum and someone suggested disconnect the battery and see if that clears the warning light, but that didn't help

anyone got any inspiration?

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The jeep has a built in code reader, by turning on and off the key three times and the last time leaving on without starting, codes will appear in your display which held the odometer. Your problem should bring up some codes, usually in the 700 range, even though north america uses the obd2 system, I dont think Chrysler changed too much for the overseas markets. Good luck

aburman

Reaction score
The jeep has a built in code reader, by turning on and off the key three times and the last time leaving on without starting, codes will appear in your display which held the odometer. Your problem should bring up some codes, usually in the 700 range, even though north america uses the obd2 system, I dont think Chrysler changed too much for the overseas markets. Good luck

heya, cheers for the reply :)

couldn't get it to throw an error code for me? probably me doing it wrong :emotions33:
dropped it of with a mechanic this morning, his diagnostic device indicates a solonoid error and the jeep is in "limp mode", which sounds a bit limp to me ;)
he is gonna do some more investigation and let me know.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heya, cheers for the reply :)

couldn't get it to throw an error code for me? probably me doing it wrong :emotions33:
dropped it of with a mechanic this morning, his diagnostic device indicates a solonoid error and the jeep is in "limp mode", which sounds a bit limp to me ;)
he is gonna do some more investigation and let me know.

If it was the "Trans Temp" light, that's not going to send an error code. If you're having a transmission issue, you're going to get the CEL on the dash. I'm actually surprised you're having trouble. Sounds to me like you have the 45RFE, the preferred transmission.

aburman

Reaction score
Got a call from the mechanic about an hour ago, he has reset the ecu and it appears to be fixed, looks like electronic gremlins ... fingers x'd its sorted!
(until the next time I go through a puddle :jawdrop: )

Bullett55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the 42RLE goes into a sorta 'limp mode' if the trans temp goes too high (like in the sand lol). When this happens the light comes on and it will downshift and remain in a lower gear to increase circulation of the trans fluid. I think it stays like that until the trans temp goes down. If you haven't lost fluid, the temp should go down if you park it for a period of time. When it cools down enough, the light will be off and the trans will operate normally. All this is only if the cause of the o'heat is due to being under (heavy) load conditions for a period time. This is what I have heard, could be wrong.