Transmission/Engine Noise on '07

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoyNamedSue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't find an answer to this.
This happens when I'm driving on something like a hilly forest road, going up & down and around curves. Sometimes when I go from flat to a hill as soon as I get back on the accellerator to go up the hill the jeep will act like it wants to downshift, but it refuses.

It will make an ugly buzzing scraping type noise. It seems like it's stuck in between gears or something. I don't think it's the engine lugging. If I get off the accelerator and back on it'll downshift, but if I just hold the pedal steady it will make that nasty noise and just refuse to shift no matter what.

I am just wondering what the noise is and if it's damaging anything. I seem to be the only one who has this, so that kind of worries me.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're not alone, far from it I think. I think it's just "one of those things"...mainly with the 42rle trans. that you (and I) have. Mine does it too, and my only advice is to basically get used to it and learn to anticipate it so you can be ready to let off the accelerator and get back on when you know it's gonna do it. :D

Here's my original post on basically the same problem....

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32122&highlight=transmission+shifting+funny

Last edited:

BoyNamedSue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're not alone, far from it I think. I think it's just "one of those things"...mainly with the 42rle trans. that you (and I) have. Mine does it too, and my only advice is to basically get used to it and learn to anticipate it so you can be ready to let off the accelerator and get back on when you know it's gonna do it. :D

Here's my original post on basically the same problem....

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32122&highlight=transmission+shifting+funny

I don't get any slamming into gear though like your other post talked about. I'll be going a steady speed on flat ground and then come to a hill while keeping the same steady speed. Right at the beginning of the hill it seems like it wants to downshift, but it refuses and makes this buzzy sound until I let off and press back down. I just can't figure out what that sound is or what it means.
I always get the feeling that something is getting stuck somewhere, like I'm stuck in between 2 gears, but that probably doesn't make any sense.
(I have gotten the slam into gear thing you mentioned a little bit, but it's very slight, and I can avoid it if I press the accelerator gently when getting back on the pedal).

ceaty

Reaction score
Yep that all sounds familiar. i'm bringing my jeep in this tuesday to check it while they do an oil change. May as well since i have 8000 miles left on my warranty. Let you know what they say::eek:

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the problem you're having and it's the same thing I'm talking about. When it's time to downshift it acts like it's confused and doesn't know what to do...that's when it seems like it's stuck between two gears. Mine only does it at really slow speeds though, like 5-10 mph. Same problem though...they'll probably tell you it's normal or that nothing is wrong if you take it in.

2003KJ

Reaction score
(I have gotten the slam into gear thing you mentioned a little bit, but it's very slight, and I can avoid it if I press the accelerator gently when getting back on the pedal).

This is caused by slack in the drivetrain.....completely normal. Some jeeps (mainly older ones with a lot of miles on them) do it more than others, most trucks do it too.

ceaty

Reaction score
I got computer reset and did the trick. The cpu would hold the previous driver's agrressive or grandma like driving in memory which didn't jive with my driving. The drive is a lot smoother now

Latest posts

Members online