Transferring Parts Among Model Years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Huklbery

Reaction score
I drive a 2003 Renegade with 204,000 miles. The engine is strong, but the 5-speed won't shift and needs to be rebuilt or replaced. I am waiting a detailed diagnosis with prices now. Rather than pour more money into this truck, I am considering the option of buying a late model, low-mileage southern KJ and transferring factory and aftermarket parts from the 2003 to it, and scrapping the 2003. I'm wondering if there is a general rule that would enable me to know (I won't have time to research each of these parts individually before having to give a go-no-go decision to the garage) if they are compatible across KJ model years: Renegade rooftop 4-light bar; Renegade skid plates; ARB bull bar; ARB springs; ARB shocks; head unit mounting kit; EVIC; plastic roof rack covers; Renegade fender flairs. I realize the original Renegade was discontinued, but I wouldn't be conflicted mounting the light bar, bull bar and suspension to a late model Limited, for example, if they would fit. Thanks to anyone who can help me on this -- I don't have much time before I have to fish or cut bait.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I drive a 2003 Renegade with 204,000 miles. The engine is strong, but the 5-speed won't shift and needs to be rebuilt or replaced. I am waiting a detailed diagnosis with prices now. Rather than pour more money into this truck, I am considering the option of buying a late model, low-mileage southern KJ and transferring factory and aftermarket parts from the 2003 to it, and scrapping the 2003. I'm wondering if there is a general rule that would enable me to know (I won't have time to research each of these parts individually before having to give a go-no-go decision to the garage) if they are compatible across KJ model years: Renegade rooftop 4-light bar; Renegade skid plates; ARB bull bar; ARB springs; ARB shocks; head unit mounting kit; EVIC; plastic roof rack covers; Renegade fender flairs. I realize the original Renegade was discontinued, but I wouldn't be conflicted mounting the light bar, bull bar and suspension to a late model Limited, for example, if they would fit. Thanks to anyone who can help me on this -- I don't have much time before I have to fish or cut bait.
Where to start,
easy first
front suspension same on all KJs and KKs
rear suspension same on 02-07s
depending on trans used in your 03 difference in trans cross member so little difference in mounting of that skid.
Renegade light bar same 02-07
ARB bumper 02-04 and the 05-07 there is a difference
Same with renegade fender flares, body changes in 05 means the 02-04 flares will not work

Huklbery

Reaction score
Many thanks for your quick response, Tom. The suspension is the biggest deal, so knowing it would transfer to any KJ is very valuable information. And the light bar is very distinctive (regardless of how little it is used). Reading info on Edmunds, it appears that manual transmissions were not available on the Limited -- is that true? Thanks again.