transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it rains it pours, in addition to my passenger window that won't roll down, ac not blowing through proper vents, check engine light for incorrect purge flow, locker still making noise, and stereo not playing out of the right side, now my transfer case is slipping out of 4lo into a kind of 2lo with what sounds like gear teeth not aligning.

Anytime I'm in 4lo and put some torque on it, it will bang then make the out of sync sound. Out of all my searching I have determined it is probably the chain stretched or shift fork bent.

My liberty is a dd but I only live a mile from work. Running to work wouldn't be a problem as long as I didn't do it too long.

So my question is if I can get a decent nv242 from a wrecked durango or other vehicle for around 100 dollars, would it fit? I am assuming that all nv242s and np242s should be the same except for spline count which I could use my current input and output shafts.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck finding an NV242
You have a NP242 ,look at the ID tag
That being said you will need the case from a KJ
with the same trans or you will be swapping
input or output shafts or both

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck finding an NV242
You have a NP242 ,look at the ID tag
That being said you will need the case from a KJ
with the same trans or you will be swapping
input or output shafts or both

I was under the impression that New Process just changed their name to New Venture but the products still stayed the same.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that New Process just changed their name to New Venture but the products still stayed the same.

Backwards
New Venture is the parent company
New Process makes the 231 and 242 in the KJ
I think they make the 241 non-rock track
I know they make the rock-track and the NV series
of transmissions
They also make various other t-cases found in
just about every make of truck and SUV out there
but if you look at the round tag on your t-case
it says new process gear 242 and iirc 2.71-1

Now if you have no problem swapping around
in/out shafts you could ditch the 242 for a 231
which come a dime a dozen

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I see what you are saying now. A lot of internet sites incorrectly label a np242 as a nv242.

Anyway, case closed. Tc ordered from davey along with some skids (shipping was expensive, but since I "bought" the pallet, I might as well fill it up). He even threw in a tow hook for free.