Transfer case Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PackratF350

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 231 t case, in my 2004. It has a 5 speed standard transmission, getting some grinding, jerky, howling sounds from something. (Not sure which yet). I suspect it’s the transfer case due to it also has a weeping oil leak. So I’m gonna start with it first. My question. Can. Rebuild be completed on the transfer case while still in place?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure it is the transfer case
I'd be starting with the rear CV on the front driveshaft, cheap and easy to repair it
They can make some loud and strange noises when worn out

and it is a whole lot easier to completely rebuild the transfer case out of the rig

PackratF350

Reaction score
Yup it sure did. The low range shifter fork was worn out. Nylon slippers were gone and the aluminum guides under those slippers were wearing down. All new bearings and seals now. Work good

Reactions: klc
Reaction score
I changed the transfer case oil in my 2005 recently and it had a noticeable silver colored tint to the usual deep red color of ATF+4. No issues that I can tell, but when you mentioned worn aluminum guides on yours, I’m wondering what could happen when those guides were worn out. Could a chain come off or would it just not shift? The former could leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere....

PackratF350

Reaction score
It was the low range shifter fork that was worn. High range is a bigger fork and I really can’t tell you what would happen. But if it is worn as mine was. All the plastic and aluminum “shavings” were sitting at the bottom and blocking the oil pump screen. Overtime I would think you would eventually starve the oil flow and start taking out bearings.

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to rebuild the transfer cases on our KJs?

Latest posts

Members online