Transfer case oil Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spooner

Reaction score
Just rolled over 50k km and now the seal on the transfer case control arm is leaking fluid.

Took it to the dealership as its still under warranty and they first tried to tell me it was a loose oil filter. Upon a second look they agreed with me the oil was coming from the transfer case.

They had to order a seal and now its back in today. Anyone else experience a blown seal on the control arm? Any cause for bigger concerns?

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been lucky enough to skip over all the leaking seals thus far.

at 81K miles though I am sure a few leaks are right at the "forming" stage... once the KJ starts leaking; I'll know it has been fully broken in.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine peed diff fluid on the garage floor from a leaky pinion seal. No other peeing episodes since. I think I got it potty trained now......:D

Dave

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mine peed diff fluid on the garage floor from a leaky pinion seal. No other peeing episodes since. I think I got it potty trained now......:D

Dave

Little Jeeps take longer to get potty trained......just like dogs...:D

Mine has never leaked, thankfully.....

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are no control arms on the t-case.There are 5 seals though,the front output seal,the rear output seal,the input seal,shift shaft seal,and the split seal but no control arms.

Last edited:

Chris9296

Reaction score
I recently bought an 04 with 80,000 k on the clock. Had the oil changed and the mechanic changed the diff fluid at the same time said it was BLACK. That was just before going on a road trip on the may long weekend. The trip was about 1500 k or so round trip. Took it off road for the very first time when away. When I got home I noticed ****** fluid all over the rear of the jeep. Took it back to the shop that worked on it and they confirmed the same thing as you have. A leak where the shift linkage goes into the T-case. Took it to the dealer I bought it from. They said the same thing and ordered the parts. Originally said it would take about four hours. Then after they called to tell me the parts were in and I booked the appoointment they said it would only take 1.5 hrs. Since the dealer is about an hour away and my wife will be taking it in because I will be at work I was quite happy with that. I also am covered under warranty. We will see what happens.