Transfer case issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeLinn

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago while it was raining I was driving it started to spin on me while turning ESP kicked in then while driving a high pitched whine started coming from the transmission/transfer case area now it only happens from time to time. But I can't move the transfer case selector at all. It is stuck in 2WD which isn't bad but I don't know what it could be. I took it to a transmission shop they said it would be no problem to drive since it is in 2WD.

BillyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When was the last time the fluid was changed? It is pretty easy to change it out if it is old.
Get some ATF+4 fluid and make sure you remove the top plug first. If no fluid comes out, put your finger in and check to see if you can feel any. It should be red and while it will smell bad, it should not smell burnt.
If you do change it, remove the bottom plug and drain the fluid. Then fill it back up until it begins to leak out of the top hole. Oh, and be sure to do this while the Jeep is level.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
You can add the KJ year in your signature line as well. Command Trac or Selec-Trac?
Does the shifter handle show 2H-4H-N-4L ??

JoeLinn

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Sorry I didn't give the year it is a 2006 all stock. Yes it has 2H-4H-N-4L. Don't know what type of transfer case it has. But when I checked the fluid in it, it was empty. I filled it up till it started running out. Took it for a drive that took care of the high pitched whine. But the selector for 2-4 wheel dive is still stuck in 2H.

Latest posts

Members online