Transfer case cable adjustment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dizzydevil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have tried searching on here but everything I have read has not answered my question. So trying to see if anyone knows what to do or has a link that can help me explain what I need to do.I just got my Jeep back from the shop had the transmission replaced cause mine took a dump on m and died. They replaced my transmission but they hooked up my Transfer case shift lever in the Neutral position so now It only shifts from 2 High to 4 High and won't reach the other shift points. I called the shop to try and get them to adjust it since they just did the work but they left for the week to attend some car show in a different area, so I am trying to see what I need to do to adjust this cable to get full range of 4x4 again thanks for any help I get.the Haynes manual I have did not help me either.:shrug:

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems to be that there is not enough tension of the shift cable.
Maybe they forgot to pass it thru any hole or place to have it tensioned.

It's quite difficult to access that cable... I have not any idea on how to proceed.
I recommend to wait... you will run in problem if you can catch the 4LO and unable to move back to FULL Time or 2WD shift.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Is there some sort of nut you can loosen on the shifting rod, shift the Tcase manually into 4LO from underneath (have trans in N of course with parking brake on), put the lever into the 4LO position and then tighten the nut back up? Haven't ever really looked at that mechanism on the KJ but that's how I fixed an XJ that wouldn't shift into 4LO. If it's not obvious when you get under it (I might be giving bum advice), I'd just wait and take it in. What T case do you have? They have different shift mechanisms for some reason. Np 242 is more complicated.

Dizzydevil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got it fixed the cable came apart from the shifter handle so just replaced with new assembly now its working normal again. its all one assembly no way to adjust put new one on fairly easy to install went on fast and shifts properly so learned something new never seen a cable set up like it beforehand.