Trans code P0700...what's wrong?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74Ghia

Reaction score
OK, ever since I got this Jeep 2 years ago, it's done this strange thing were the engine will stall, when the trans is in reverse or drive. It only does this upon a recent start, and usually only from a cold start. Once, driven a couple minutes it doesn't to it. Also, I seem to notice, if I let is idle for a few seconds before tossing it into gear and pulling away it helps.

Second noticed thing, on occasion when I start the Jeep, and put it in reverse, it kinda just sits there, I have to give it some throttle, and then it sluggishly pulls away. Again, if I let it idle a bit first, this seems to not happen.

Third thing, only happened one time, I was passing a truck, and floored the pedal, it down shifted, and speed up very nicely, but the check engine light came on. I'd been on a long trip, and I pulled off the next off ramp, and into a diner, shut it off, and restarted it, the CEL was still on. I went in and had some lunch, and came back out, started it, and drove off, and no CEL for the next several months.

Today, the thing did the slow moving reverse thing again, and tried to stall again...and the CEL came on again, and this time it doesn't seem to be going back off. I plugged in the GDE OBD II thing, and it only shows P0700 as a fault code. I cleared, or the thing said it had cleared, it, but the second you cycle and restart the CEL stays on (which is strange in itself) don't they usually go off, then after a bit come back on?

P0700 is a pretty generic transmission controller code, not too helpful.

The transmission works very well in all other conditions, except for these strange behaviors I've listed, it shifts smooth, shifts when it should, down shifts, doesn't slip, all-in-all feels pretty good. MPG's are around 28ish most of the time with a combo city/hwy cycle. I never tow with it (but the PO might have).

Poking around, it seems the trans pan has been off at some point, there's some RTV around it, and it seems to have seeped a bit (oily dusty dirt from the pan UP, nothing down).

Hum, what else can I tell you, the miles just turned to 86,000. Ideas? Is this that solenoid block thingy???? Or worse...

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I would suggest a transmission flush and filter change first... if you haven't done/had it done yet. Do the easiest, least expensive items first.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also bring it to a reputable transmission shop to have the CVI numbers read and the transmission code pulled, that way you can tell what's actually going on in the transmission.

jsjjamessiler

Reaction score
I would point out that if it is a US. Version Chrysler used a plastic stator and potentially other plastic parts in the torque converter. If those are to break or crack and begin to fail, it can cause harsh shifting and the sluggish reverse you referred to. It has also been known to cause complete stalling of the engine in some cases usually after you succeed in reverse and go to put it in drive. A temporary solution is to always park backwards, it puts less strain on the tc when you go to leave your parking spot after the transmission has had time to cool down. However once the tc is shot, your best bet is the 'euro' torque converter. It was used in the same transmission with the same engine in the same vehicle. I would recommend that and of course a filter and fluid change as broken pieces of the tc can make their way through the filter and can damage the transmission. It calls for 14.1 QTS of fluid, atf+4, and the cheapest filter set I found was auto zone part number tf349, and the cheapest source for the euro tc I've found (and purchased) is idparts.com. that's what it sounds like might be the cause and solution to your problem. And I do encourage you to purchase the parts yourself as an auto shop will charge you a lot more for the parts than they cost.

jsjjamessiler

Reaction score
Wanted to post an update to my info. I had the slipping issues replaced the tc problem solved... Or not, slip comes back second to third, new tcm from gde problem solved again... Or not, now check engine light same slip for a couple days then no third, take to trans shop full rebuild and new electronics just barely over 2k and new valve body and upgraded components and an added auxilary trans cooler, I only drove it from there to the dealership to get the timing belt done cause with my luck that would go next. But on that short drive, perfect, a little stiff in the shifts but apparently that is to be expected with the transgo kit I had installed I will leave another update after I've had the vehicle back for a week and let you know where I'm at with it.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanted to post an update to my info. I had the slipping issues replaced the tc problem solved... Or not, slip comes back second to third, new tcm from gde problem solved again... Or not, now check engine light same slip for a couple days then no third, take to trans shop full rebuild and new electronics just barely over 2k and new valve body and upgraded components and an added auxilary trans cooler, I only drove it from there to the dealership to get the timing belt done cause with my luck that would go next. But on that short drive, perfect, a little stiff in the shifts but apparently that is to be expected with the transgo kit I had installed I will leave another update after I've had the vehicle back for a week and let you know where I'm at with it.

Timing belt? You have a 4 cyl or CRD?

jsjjamessiler

Reaction score
Timing belt? You have a 4 cyl or CRD?

It's a CRD I have a whole series dedicated to it and the repairs one should make sure to make on it to ensure it's life on YouTube, and yes timing belt is one of those it's supposed to be serviced every 100k US miles, and if the belt does go, it's an interference engine, so best case scenario it's on cyl 4 when it goes all valves freeze closed and engine stops, worst case scenario it's not cyl 4 and valves are inside the cyl on one of the cylinders and they get hit by the piston broken off and fall into the cylinder and destroy that cylinder, meaning new sleeve new piston new valves and new bearings in any cylinders that that happens in, most common though is that the valves get hit and bent and pistons have to be resurfaced and new valves are necessary.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a CRD I have a whole series dedicated to it and the repairs one should make sure to make on it to ensure it's life on YouTube, and yes timing belt is one of those it's supposed to be serviced every 100k US miles, and if the belt does go, it's an interference engine, so best case scenario it's on cyl 4 when it goes all valves freeze closed and engine stops, worst case scenario it's not cyl 4 and valves are inside the cyl on one of the cylinders and they get hit by the piston broken off and fall into the cylinder and destroy that cylinder, meaning new sleeve new piston new valves and new bearings in any cylinders that that happens in, most common though is that the valves get hit and bent and pistons have to be resurfaced and new valves are necessary.

Haha yeah I know a blown timing belt on interference engines can be an absolute mess. Was just curious!

jsjjamessiler

Reaction score
Haha yeah I know a blown timing belt on interference engines can be an absolute mess. Was just curious!

I see, I know a lot of people don't understand and I just like to help anyone who has one of these CRDs the are great vehicles and need to be kept in the road, not broken from lack if service

Onebigwrenchy

Reaction score
OK, ever since I got this Jeep 2 years ago, it's done this strange thing were the engine will stall, when the trans is in reverse or drive. It only does this upon a recent start, and usually only from a cold start. Once, driven a couple minutes it doesn't to it. Also, I seem to notice, if I let is idle for a few seconds before tossing it into gear and pulling away it helps.

Second noticed thing, on occasion when I start the Jeep, and put it in reverse, it kinda just sits there, I have to give it some throttle, and then it sluggishly pulls away. Again, if I let it idle a bit first, this seems to not happen.

Third thing, only happened one time, I was passing a truck, and floored the pedal, it down shifted, and speed up very nicely, but the check engine light came on. I'd been on a long trip, and I pulled off the next off ramp, and into a diner, shut it off, and restarted it, the CEL was still on. I went in and had some lunch, and came back out, started it, and drove off, and no CEL for the next several months.

Today, the thing did the slow moving reverse thing again, and tried to stall again...and the CEL came on again, and this time it doesn't seem to be going back off. I plugged in the GDE OBD II thing, and it only shows P0700 as a fault code. I cleared, or the thing said it had cleared, it, but the second you cycle and restart the CEL stays on (which is strange in itself) don't they usually go off, then after a bit come back on?

P0700 is a pretty generic transmission controller code, not too helpful.

The transmission works very well in all other conditions, except for these strange behaviors I've listed, it shifts smooth, shifts when it should, down shifts, doesn't slip, all-in-all feels pretty good. MPG's are around 28ish most of the time with a combo city/hwy cycle. I never tow with it (but the PO might have).

Poking around, it seems the trans pan has been off at some point, there's some RTV around it, and it seems to have seeped a bit (oily dusty dirt from the pan UP, nothing down).

Hum, what else can I tell you, the miles just turned to 86,000. Ideas? Is this that solenoid block thingy???? Or worse...
P0700 is an informational code only. It doesn't point to a direct fault in the engine, only a general fault in the transmission. More diagnosis is necessary to identify what the transmission fault is. This requires a scan tool that will communicate with the transmission module.

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0700
Copyright OBD-Codes.com