Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ken270741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi....
I have another question. My auto ****** (06 sport 4x4) does not seem right too me. First to second gear change is most times rough and feels like it slips and shifts earlier then i would want it to. If i keep on the gas when it shifts it will do this, but i have pretty much learned to slightly let up on the gas when i feel the shift coming, and it is much better. Should i be concerned? Would pulling the battery off to reset the computer and have the ****** 'relearn' the shift patterns help at all??

Thanks
Ken

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mmm... I think that's the curse of the 42rle. I have an '04 sport and from the day I drove it off the lot, the shifting was clunky, irregular, and concerning. Yet I haven't had a single failure and that's with a reasonable amount of off-road miles.

For me, and not having an unlimited supply of money, I can live with it, as long as I know (or believe) that it's not about to fail, but is just the behavior of the unit. I now have 63,000 on my Jeep, and no failures so far (knocking on wood).

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My transmission did something crazy on my yesterday. I took off from an intersection, and got up to running speed (35-45mph) and Drive/O-Drive had no grip, slowed down and it still had no pull. it was as if the transmission were in neutral. tried shifting in and out of gear, the only gears that would work was 1 and 2, and later found out Reverse was ok too. got to my friends house, shut it off, went inside to smoke the problem away, and went back out to listen, look at the ******, and Drive was working normal. Since then Its driven, normal, sounds normal, no noise or slips. put about 20 miles on it since the 'hickup'. Any one experiance anything like this? Fluid levels normal, and complete flush completed in april. *shrug* transmission has about 110,000 miles.

I <3 my libby, but it trys harder than the girlfriend to keep me broke.

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually shift my ****** like it doesnt know how to shift its self(mostly b/c it doesnt)... Works pretty good. :)

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, the ****** gave out on me last weekend, now when i put it in drive (or 2nd or 1st) letting it roll forward makes a banging sound toward the back of the ******, doesnt look like a U-joint issue. but the sound is coming from the back of the ******. Looking for any clue to what this might be. I hate the stealership diagnosing the problem. They always find a way to make it cost >$1000. I understand this might not be a quick-fix problem, but will try anything to avoid the dealer. =) Any suggestions? Troubleshooing? (keep in mind the loss of drive/over-drive from a week earlier.)

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Our KJ has has just over 105,000.00 miles on the clock and the transmission shifts really smooth in all gears under all acceleration situations.

Good day,
After getting our KJ had the ****** flushed and 4X4 service done and we picked it up from Chrysler, I swear that we have a brand new transmission in there! I thought it drove nice befor, It drives really nice now.

Last edited:

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, the ****** gave out on me last weekend, now when i put it in drive (or 2nd or 1st) letting it roll forward makes a banging sound toward the back of the ******, doesnt look like a U-joint issue. but the sound is coming from the back of the ******. Looking for any clue to what this might be. I hate the stealership diagnosing the problem. They always find a way to make it cost >$1000. I understand this might not be a quick-fix problem, but will try anything to avoid the dealer. =) Any suggestions? Troubleshooing? (keep in mind the loss of drive/over-drive from a week earlier.)

Ok, after closer examination, the problem appears to be inside the transfer case.. for months leading upto this problem there was a 'tinging' sound, like something in the wheel was loose, never able to find the problem, but now where that harmless 'tinging' sound was is that violent banging/clicking. My question is, Does this transfer case have an input drive that is always spinning when the transmission is in gear? Also is there a way to possibly remove my transfer case if needed? (seems to be inline with the drive train, doesn't look like you can remove it without some kind of shaft in its place.)

Any input that could save me thousands and get my only car functional again would be greatly appreciated. :D

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, Fulltime is not an option. - Has anyone ever heard of the transfer case making this clicking/banging sound every 4-5 feet i roll forward in gear? I dont know how else to ensure this is the transfer case other than to detach it and put the ****** in gear. Is that safe? it might screw my transmission up though as i wouldnt be able to stop the output shaft and if it is the ****** banging it might seriously damage it.. If i get the x-fer case out i might be able to spin that a few rotations and see if it sounds normal.

This is so frustrating, and i know i've been very little help with the issue, but I have like no time to work on it, Luckly i have a ride to work, and will try to find time this weekend to troubleshoot further.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the fluid level in the TC yet? It takes ATF4 like the transmission, but the two units do not share fluid. FI the Transfer case is low, it'll make all kinds of racket.

Could also be u-joints.

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
checked on the u-joints, they are worn, but not loose. Transfer case was serviced in may, I will check the fluids this weekend, before dropping it to see if the ****** makes noise without the TC hooked up, and also see if any noise can be heard when TC is turned by hand. this noise is very loud, actually shakes the drive train.. should notice it if try to turn the system by hand.
'

is there a way to turn the ****** by hand? only neutral right?

Thank you all so much for your help. I love JeepKJ.com!

Last edited:

fulltimer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might be able to get some answers by calling a ****** shop and telling them what is going on. If they are decent at all they will give you some suggestions. If not, they will just say to bring it in.

Terry

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, with the passanger side tire off the ground i can spin it and hear the sound back toward the transfer case. funny thing is, i finished doing the brakes and got in to test them, and the sound happened like twice then i drove around the block and it didnt happen till i made a sudden stop (basketball/child in the road) then the sound occured about 4-5 times (banging/clinging/pinging) then quitened out again. As far as i can tell this will be the output shaft on the transfer case that is doing this... so from what i've troubleshot im going to buy a replacment transfer case and have it installed.

does this sound right? I like to check with you guys first.

Also, should i try just removing the forward drive axle..?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online