Trailer wiring connector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 7-way trailer hitch connector. I put that connector on solely with the idea of towing my dad's tent trailer in mind. Here's my problem. The connector only has a left signal/brake and right signal/break wire. There is no seperate brake wire. My dad's truck is setup such that when he hits his brakes his left/right turn signal wires both go hot. If he has his blinker on with brakes, the truck alternates the one side hot/dead and leaves the other side hot.

The liberty...not so much. The left/right signal wires work independent of the brakes and there is apparently a seperate brake wire that is always hot (and there's only one of them). So for now i'm just wiring it up without turn signals, and hooking the brake wire up to both left/right on the wiring harness. Now, am I missing something trivial or do I perhaps need a special 7-wire conenctor with a seperate brake wire?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure my Jeep is not wired up like that.

If your looking at the 7 pin connector with the tab at the top it goes like this.

Starting with the top right pin then going clockwise

Battery, stop/rt turn, electric brake, ground, stop/lt turn, running lights, and finally the center is the back-up lamps.

I can snap a pic of the diagram I have if its needed.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure my Jeep is not wired up like that.

If your looking at the 7 pin connector with the tab at the top it goes like this.

Starting with the top right pin then going clockwise

Battery, stop/rt turn, electric brake, ground, stop/lt turn, running lights, and finally the center is the back-up lamps.

Mine doen'st have a brake light.

You must be registered for see images

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea it does, see the right stop and left stop(brown and red wire)? Those are brake lights. :)

Yes, btu they are also the turn signal lights. My problem is, how do I wire them both up? I can tap them both into the brake wire, but then when i hit the breaks while I have my turn signal on, the lights will both be hot all the time (and there will be no signal). This is what I've done for now...but if i hit my right blinker, then press the brakes, the brake wire applies 12V to the brown wire and I get no flashing.

EDIT: It should be noted that I have tapped into the wires inside the vehicle below the swing gate. Not behind the tail lights (since taking the tail lights out looked like a pain to me...but in retrospect would have been easier). I don't think it should make any difference though, as i've found the right signal/left signal wires in the back to tape into. However, there's a sole brake light wire that is always hot regardless of whether signls are on or not. Because of this, I can't hit my brakes and have one rear light on, while the other is flashing.

Last edited:

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need the electronic converter(not the brake controller),just get the MOPAR 7 pin harness and be done with it,it comes with the converter and is a plug so no modifing is required.

The dealer wanted $180. I dont' tow much...I think i'll do without the trailer turn signales and use hand signals...plus my jeep's turn signals caneb seen over the short, tiny tent trailer :p

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EDIT: It should be noted that I have tapped into the wires inside the vehicle below the swing gate. Not behind the tail lights (since taking the tail lights out looked like a pain to me...but in retrospect would have been easier). I don't think it should make any difference though, as i've found the right signal/left signal wires in the back to tape into. However, there's a sole brake light wire that is always hot regardless of whether signls are on or not. Because of this, I can't hit my brakes and have one rear light on, while the other is flashing.

ohhhh, that makes tons of sense then. :)

Like tjkj said, you need the controller. Check out etrailer.

If you never plan on using the 7pin connector then this is cheaper.

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-VWH~118382.htm?vehicleid=20042402

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
then get this:

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-A~30717.htm

I just picked up a 6x12 box trailer this morning and had to use that. I only bought the 4pin connector from etrailer and that 4to 7 pin works out great. It plugs right into the 4 pin connector then you run the [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]brake, power, ground, and accessory[/SIZE][/FONT] to their proper spots. :)

You do not need to hook those 4 other leads up unless you need them. If you dont have a brake and just want the brake lights, turns, and running lights it works good.

They also have this:

http://www.etrailer.com/c-BRACKET.htm
http://www.etrailer.com/pc-BRACKET~18156.htm

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online