Trailer turn signals and brake lights not working...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ducatista

Reaction score
I have an 06 CRD with factory tow package and just picked up a new motorcycle trailer. I also have the adapter from Jeep that goes from 6 pin to 4 pin (trailer has a flat 4 pin connector).

When I connect trailer to the Jeep no lights on trailer unless I turn on the Jeep's headlights... then the lights on the trailer all light but the turn signals do not blink... they are just constantly on... same with brake lights.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks in advance.

NomadKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know how to troubleshoot with a test light or meter?

If yes, with the 6 to 4 adapter plug in, check pinout against the trailer.

If no, there are several gagets on the market you can buy to check this for you.

Ducatista

Reaction score
I don't have a multimeter or other test gear.

Perhaps I should try one of the gadget you mention.

Ken

Ducatista

Reaction score
Update: I purchased a tester that plugs into the 4 pin plug and the problem seems to be not with the trailer but on the jeep side.

The tester shows power but no blinker signal and no brake light signal from Jeep.

Any ideas?

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are testing from te adapter that might not be the best source as the adapter might be the problem. I have not looked at mine but I thought it was a 7 pin. I would check out the 7 pin and see if it is right before digging into the jeep wiring. If you test it and it is wrong then I would suspect fuses first.

I will check mine and see if it is 6 or 7 and see if I can find a diagram for it. I would also suggest getting a simple test light as with it you can test each pole of the connector independantly. They look like this:http://www.midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?1053

UPDATE: I checked my '06 CRD and I definately have a 7 pin connector and a wiring diagram came with the Jeep supplied 7/4 pin adapter and is also printed on the cover of the vehicle connector. I haven't checked mine but I will if you like.

It is hard to believe that they could have installed the trailer wiring on the jeep wrong but if you have turn signals and brakes on the jeep but not at the trailer and the pins on the Jeep don't light up with a test light then that is the problem and I would take it to the dealer to sort out. First eliminate the adapter as the problem though.

Ducatista

Reaction score
Thanks for the good advice... I tried another adapter and problem stays the same. Seems like the problem is on the Jeep side vice trailer.

Will take her in to dealer I guess.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just checked mine out and it works fine so it must be a one off error. Good luck.