Trailer & Brake Controller Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rikguy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a class III hitch and a 4 flat trailer plug on the Jeep now that I installed myself. I have an 18' camper to tow and need to get a round 7 pin wiring and a brake controller installed. Are these things that I can do myself or does it require a shop to install? The 4 flat was an easy plug in at the brake lights but I'll guess that the 7 pin is more complicated?
2004 Liberty 3.7L automatic trans.

Thanks,
~Rick~

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need the Mopar 7-way wiring harness + Mopar electric brake controller. You can do it yourself if your comfortable with removing interior panels and taping into wiring. Both come with instructions.

rikguy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it involve finding and splicing wires or does it plug into exsitiig connections like the flat 4 plug did? I'm not sure how the brake controller works either.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it involve finding and splicing wires or does it plug into exsitiig connections like the flat 4 plug did? I'm not sure how the brake controller works either.
Since it's from Mopar, I believe(not 100% sure though) that It's all plug-&-play. Perhaps someone that has the 7-way wiring and brake controller can reply?

rikguy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, thanks for the info. It also seems like the 7 pin wiring gets connected to a brake controller? I'll have to see if they make a wiring harness for that too.

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much $$$ the Mopar controller and wiring are, but you can get aftermarket and hook it up with an RV 7 blade connector outlet, pretty easy, I've done them on three vehicles now. Yes, you have to run some extra wires, but once you find the brake wire, rest is simple and straight forward.

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hold up man, you should be able to get an adaptor from your flat-4 to a round-7. Price $10.00.

Here's a link to a national USA company showing the adaptor:

http://www.gemplers.com/product/156269/Trailer-Wiring-Adapter-7-round-plug4-flat-socket

That's the opposite direction he is going... he already has the flat 4, the link you posted is for someone who has 7 plug and needs the 4.
Since you have the flat 4 already wired, I would just get a 7 plug outlet, a brake controller, cut off the flat 4 then wire it and brake controller to new 7 plug, then you can get the adapter posted above for the flat 4 is needed.

rikguy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right I need to go from a flat 4 to a round 7. The Mopar plug and play wiring is $130 - $180.

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy mackrel!!! I bought my controller for around 70-80, then a 7 blade plug for around 10-12, some time and wire and all hooked up. Dude if I was closer, I would help ya out, 180 is outrageous to me, especially if you already have the 4 plug hooked up, not much too adding a controller from there.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally got the 4 flat from Etrailer. I liked it since it has a wire that runs right from the battery to the controller in the rear so that the trailer uses no power from the Jeeps lights, I do not like doing that. Now that I need a 7pin connector I bought an adaptor from etrailer that allows me to connect to the 4 flat then run the other wires where they are needed. One of them being the brake controller but youve got to do a decent amount of wiring yourself, which I have no problems with.

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-A~30717.htm

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-BRACKET~18156.htm

rikguy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! That adapter looks like it will work for me. Then I'll just pick up a brake controller and wire it up from the 7 pin plug.

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a slick setup, didn't know they made such an animal.... that would definitely be the easiest for you. All you have to do from there is wire up the brake controller then run the brake feed wire back to plug and you're set. You can also run a hot access wire too if you need that on your trailer.

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a slick setup, didn't know they made such an animal.... that would definitely be the easiest for you. All you have to do from there is wire up the brake controller then run the brake feed wire back to plug and you're set. You can also run a hot access wire too if you need that on your trailer.

That's exactly what I did. I ran a hot wire back since it was just as easy to run two wires as it was to run one. I don't need it now, so I just taped it off under the hood until I do need it.
Bruce