TPMS can't recognize new sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sangshuduo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My KJ is Renegade 2006.

Back to few years ago I happened to break one tire pressure sensor when I tried to refill. Then I replaced it with a new one. It has been working pretty good.

Recently I made a same mistake on another tire. Then I asked a repair factory to replace it with a new one. But the new sensor never be recognized by TPMS.
Then I checked carefully new one with old one. I see the new one use 433MHz and old one is 315MHz. The model number is a little different too. So I purchased 315Mhz model again and installed it today. But same problem that not able to be recognized now.

Any idea? Thanks.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was the relearn procedure you did for the TPMS? The correct part # will also indicate the correct frequency for the vehicle. John-Dow is a very reputable company for after market TPMS. I believe the John-Dow part # is 1003-A 315MHz

sdg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the USA, the used frequency is 315MHz, in Europe it's 433MHz. If your vehicle was manufactured for the USA, you need the 315MHz sensor. As for learning, you have to drive some time with the new sensor installed (15 minutes). If it doesn't learn it, try swapping the places of the tyre with the new sensor and one tyre with an old sensor and drive again - helped me once.

Last edited:

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the USA, the used frequency is 315MHz, in Europe it's 433MHz. If your vehicle was manufactured for the USA, you need the 315MHz sensor. As for learning, you have to drive some time with the new sensor installed (15 minutes). If it doesn't learn it, try swapping the places of the tyre with the new sensor and one tyre with an old sensor and drive again - helped me once.

There is a re-learn procedure with a magnet, I'm assuming with the TPMS the OP has an EVIC and there will be a option in the settings to re-learn TPMS. Start from LF, RF, RR, LR then spare.

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The magnet learning procedure applies to model years 2004 and earlier. Starting from 2005 learning should be automatic.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The magnet learning procedure applies to model years 2004 and earlier. Starting from 2005 learning should be automatic.

^^^this.

OP could have one with a bad/dead battery maybe?

Dave

sangshuduo

Reaction score
Thanks everyone's kind reply. I got it work after I did a slow drive with a bad traffic. Seems fast speed will make relearn don't procedure but slow speed can do it better.

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the USA, the used frequency is 315MHz, in Europe it's 433MHz. If your vehicle was manufactured for the USA, you need the 315MHz sensor.

Quick question...my newly acquired 04 Limited is having TPMS problems that I'm thinking might be resolved with new sensors. Question is: do my sensors use 433 Mhz or 315 Mhz? The great majority of the sensors on eBay that are "compatible" with my vehicle are 433 Mhz. :shrug:

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HA! What an airhead I am. It only took a little more research to find that 04 and 09 Libbys use 433 Mhz.

sdg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HA! What an airhead I am. It only took a little more research to find that 04 and 09 Libbys use 433 Mhz.

Hi, I would be grateful if you give more details about the source where you found that '04 and '09 would use 433MHz sensors. I always thought the used frequency is compliant with government regulations. Thanks!

sdg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kal-El, thanks a lot for this link!!.

I did some more digging (well, googling) to find out what the legislation says. I couldn't find proper official documents, but I found a couple of references leading me to believe that in Europe it's obligatory to use 433MHz, while in the USA both 315MHz and 433MHz would be allowed:

http://www.erodocdb.dk/docs/doc98/official/pdf/ERCRep025.pdf (look for "315 MHz" and "433.05 MHz")
http://www.linxtechnologies.com/resources/documents/fcc_resource_document.pdf (go to page 14)
Solidremote Blog | Choose Right Frequency for Remote Control Transmitter Project - 315MHz VS 433MHz (quick read)