TPM error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tonight when i started up my jeep, i heard a beep and i looked up and it said tire sensor bad/missing and stayed there until it hit one of the buttons. i tried turning the ignition on and off a few times to see if it would appear and it did everytime. Has anyone ever encountered this? it is still monitering all my tire pressures so im a little confused.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appeared on mine only once. It went away, never knew why it happened.

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have the 4 tire display or 5 tire...if you have the 4 maybe its the spare that's "missing or bad", which is why it looks like its working. Have you tried retraining the sensors?

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive always only had 4.ts not never shown the spare, i dont seem to have the metal peice to retrain them, so i guess it goes to the dealer

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont seem to have the metal peice to retrain them, so i guess it goes to the dealer
not necessary...almost any magnet will do. I've been using the stock speakers i ripped out as my training magnet. If you want to get the actual training magnet, i don't think they are that expensive. IIRC about $15.

btw, what is it showing for the 4 tires, the correct psi?

Last edited:

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I want them to refill them, they filled them with nitrogen a few weeks ago

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahh, just use alittle air, it wont be enough to hurt anything.

Did you get the cool green stems? Is so then you need to get the silver caps back since they are special and protect the valve stem..

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes i got the green ones. And if the silver ones protect the valve stems, why the hell did they take them off?!

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes i got the green ones. And if the silver ones protect the valve stems, why the hell did they take them off?!

Because they did not understand that your TPM system related to the special valve stems. Hopefully they will have them or you may have to convince them to buy you new ones from the dealership.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok but as someone pointed out at my house, if i take it to the shop and it needs more air in the tires and doesnt have the green valve stems, then how will the mechanic know to put nitrogen in and not air?

Also could you explain to me how they are related to the TPM so i can convince them.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They seal better than a regular cap which keeps dirt and crap out of the sensor which is connected to the valve stem. Each sensor is around $60 a pop, so I wouldnt risk it.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well when it goes in monday evening, i will make sure i get the regular valve stems back, paint them green if i have to lol

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok but as someone pointed out at my house, if i take it to the shop and it needs more air in the tires and doesnt have the green valve stems, then how will the mechanic know to put nitrogen in and not air?

Also could you explain to me how they are related to the TPM so i can convince them.

Tell the shop you require Nitrogen and that the stems must not be changed because they are made for the TPM system you have.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, shes at the dealership for the night... Since my evic doesnt show it on screen anymore, they dont think they will get a code for it but usually it stores the codes until you clear them. I also got my valve stem caps back so those are on now, i just paint them green if i have to. So hopefully tomorow, my renegade will be back in my driveway and stay there for awhile. So far all its visits have not been for mechanical reasons thank god.

One for a full detail and inspection.

Another to fix the broken grill clip and rattling gate

And now for the tire sensor which i beleive is the dealers fault.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
forgot to give an update, got it back the next day and no codes came up on their comp. So they gave me back the caps and hopefully this wont happen again.

Im dieing for its next oil change. It gets mobil 1 5w30 synthetic oil. A new wix filter and some Ac Delco platinum plugs, i know the rep for ac delco so hes grabbing me some for free. Going to get the axle fluid changes and a ****** flush. So in the next few thousand K it gets a good treat